Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best valve spring compressor for changing springs/seals with the motor in the car? To clear the brake booster, etc., do you need more than one type to complete the job? Thanks.

·
14,259 Posts
Lever type works ok. Auto parts store offer free loaners.

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
I use this one for everything as it operates with both 3/8 or 7/16" studs. I have a special short compressor I used when the booster got in the way. I don't see it anymore but its the one with the turning knob on top . I used it for the larger 1.625 big triple springs on the hemi cars, back in the day.
JEGS Performance Products 80521: Stud Mounted Valve Spring Compressor Tool | JEGS

Probable good time to check spring pressures and seals, if they are old.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I use this one for everything as it operates with both 3/8 or 7/16" studs. I have a special short compressor I used when the booster got in the way. I don't see it anymore but its the one with the turning knob on top . I used it for the larger 1.625 big triple springs on the hemi cars, back in the day.
JEGS Performance Products 80521: Stud Mounted Valve Spring Compressor Tool | JEGS

Probable good time to check spring pressures and seals, if they are old.
Same as the one I have.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I have used this one for SBC heads and on hydraulic camed BBC heads:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/pa...la-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-proform-parts It is fast and easy to use, but doesn't like really stiff springs.

I also use the straight third class lever style bar (mine was from Moroso and cost $30 bucks or so back in the sixties), but I see has been copied and made off shore for a lot less:

Powerbuilt Valve Spring Compressor Lever-648546 - The Home Depot

Here is the one Don was talking about above; but I find it cumbersome, and often will not stay attached to a strong spring:

UNIV OVRHD VALVE SPRING COMP

Finally I have used my spring pressure tester to replace a weak spring without walkin' all the way back to my tool room to get the right tool when the wrong tool is so handy.

Moroso 62390: Valve Seat Pressure Tester 300-lb Reading Scale | JEGS

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quite a range in price; $14 to over $200. Looks like from an affordability standpoint the $14 one for the cylinders near the booster and the lever one for the other cylinders may be the way to go. Now I need to look into seals.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've used both the Stud Mounted Valve Spring Compressor Tool and the Universal Overhead Valve Spring Compressor Tool with success. I'd recommend you wear a glove when using the Universal Overhead Valve Spring Compressor Tool or you can weld a spare 3/8" drive socket onto the center of the handle so you can use a ratchet to make it go a bit faster and easier.

·
14,259 Posts
I used the lever type to change springs on a BBC in a 69. Worked well.

Tried the screw type and it kept slipping of the springs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts