Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 has single piston calipers on the front off a 70 chevelle. The master is original drum brake type with no proportional valve or any other valves for that matter. The system seems to work just fine. My question is do I need to add valves and change master when I add line-loc?

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody???? I see the lights are on, anybody........:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
No - all the line lock does is prevent the fronts from draining pressure. If your brakes work well now you can just leave 'em alone.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks rod67ss. Just can't understand why they make proportioning valves and different master cylinders when "one size" seems to work all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since disc cylinders have larger resivoirs there must be some reason. Could be a temperature issue... or maybe just a bigger safety margin. Anyone know for sure???

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since disc cylinders have larger resivoirs there must be some reason. Could be a temperature issue... or maybe just a bigger safety margin. Anyone know for sure???
I guess not:sad:

·
Registered
601 Posts
on a 4 wheel drum braking system all brakes apply the same pressure. on front disk to rear drum 60-40. 60 is on front 40 is on rear.you may not notice till you upgrade to disk brake master.and also put in proper pro valve.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Master cylinders have to have the correct piston diameter to move the fluid volume requirement of the system they are used on. Generally disc has a greater volume requirement than drum. Go to wilwood and other aftermarket brake websites and you can read to your hearts content.

A disc/drum combo should have a proportioning valve. There are even adjustable ones.

Usually the proportioning valves on OEM disc/drum combos also incorporate a residual pressure valve on the drums hydraulics, in order to keep a few pounds pressure on that system because of the heavy springs on the pads. Hope this helps some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts