Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i will try to make the story short, i replace cylinder heads, cam and lifters, pushrods, rockers and distributor.

I am having an issue with a noise try to change timing (ping) problem isn't there. I have reajust the lifters (hydraulic) cold way (no mess) and hot enine running ( i have read the article in the forum). I had to tight a lot 2 turn more and noise was gone. Next morning car didn'T start because of valve staying open, back up nut 1/4 turn and check compression in all cylinder 150 psi but noise is back. Is it possible that the lifters are defective ( not sealing properly) Is there a way to check them in the car or i have to take everything apart.

thank you fo your help

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
When you changed the heads did you check your pushrod length? If everything else was done correctly I would guess that they are too short. Check with the company that makes the heads for their recommendation on pushrod length.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
The noise doesn't seem to change with RPM, if I am hearing what you are hearing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:sad:hi, i have check the pulley and timing marker everything is clear.
Any other hints or possibility.:confused:
thank you

2 links are available to listen hot or cold noise is there

·
Registered
953 Posts
Maybe a rocker is hitting the a valve cover somewhere? Could always check them for any damage. If no damage is seen you could always start the car a run it for few seconds while the covers are off. It would be easier to pinpoint the noise if its from the valvetrain.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Exhaust Gasket leak sounds like a Tappet noise, Fuel Pump Arm or rod too short. Ensure that Bolt on the Front of the Block Psgr Side isn't too long and interfering with the Fuel Pump Rod. Cracked Flex Plate if running an Automatic.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Loose dust shield hitting the back of the flywheel/flexplate?

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
I have to agree it sounds more rotational than reciprocal.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
I could be in left field but that sounds more like something rotating and self clearancing on something else (like on a lathe) than valvetrain to me. Maybe take a look at all your pulleys/timing pointer etc.
I agree. It's small and spinning. Check inside the disti, maybe?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Can you pull the valve covers and check for the noise with the engine running with a hose or stethoscope? If you do find the noise is actually coming from the valve train you need to isolate which valve rocker it is coming from and check the lifter. From your "mess" description it sounds like you are getting oil to all of the rockers. Did you verify clearance between the valve and piston when you installed the new heads?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi ,i have found a defective roller rocker, but my noise is not there,i have install all my regular rocker and noise is still there. I have put back the old distributor same thing. The car his automatic but there are no cover on it. I have thight the headers and exhaust flange. The clearance where check before heads where on and to select proper cam. I am going to look at at the fuel pump rod and at the flex plate today. :clonk::angry:

thank you

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
made a fuel pump plate to cancel fuel pump and noise his there. Is there a way to check flex plate without remove everything???
thank

1 - 16 of 16 Posts