Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where I could find some pictures or anything pertaining to the Van Nuys plant?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Anything specific you are looking for?

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 2/3/01)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,I`m just looking for some pictures or articles on the plant or maybe a website about the plant....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've done a little bit of research on the subject. I never found a website dealing with it, however.

As you probably know...the site has been raized and a strip mall now stands in its place. From what I gather, the only thing remaining is a mural painted on a nearby overpass showing some of the models & year cars produced.

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 2/3/01)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have a reprint of an old artical about the VAn Nuys plant and 1971 El Caminos. A few pictures but all of El Caminos

It says Chevelles, Camaros, Firebirds and El Caminos run down the lines non-stop for 2 shifts a day.

Once the work order was received at the plant it was controlled by a sophisticated computer system which determined when the car would be built when it had determined all the components were at the right place at the right time.

Nothing was manufactured there, they just assembled components shipped in from all over the country.

Frames arrived by rail. Rear axles assemblies arrived 5 to a pallet. The cars are hand painted.

The plant manager in 1971 was J.C. Abernethy.

The book this comes from a book titled; Chevy El Camino and SS, 1959-1987 ISBN 1 85520 018X distributed by Brooklands Books.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts