Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently, the vats has disabled my car. everthing turns on but the car will not start. my question is as follows: does the vats also disable the stater ? I have hooked up a remote starter to bypass the ignition to test the starter and the starter and solenoid do not function. before I attempt to remove the starter and remove the crossover pipes, which are a bitch to remove by the way, I would like to find a way to be sure my solenoid is at fault and not something else. DEsparate in san marcos!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure why, but everybody around seem to keep calling "VATS Bypass" a simple resistor to install under your steering column or on the TDM's connector. But the problem with that is it will only bypass the key and the lock cylinder, while the entire core of the security system (the TDM or Theft Deterrent Module or anti-theft module) still remains in the loop!
That resistor trick was born just to add a remote starter or fix a broken wire, but today it makes little sense. Today is the TDM that is causing tons of problems around! It dies systematically with the age of the car - even way before her 10th birthday. That's what happened to my trusty Buick and is happening to other tens of thousands of unfortunate people in North America. Lots of people are even junking their cars since GM discontinued the production of the TDM back in Jan 2009.
Here is an excellent write up on the topic, may be it can help you...http://vatspasskey.com/

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
From the Owner's Manual, re-attempt to start with the same key a minimum of 3 minutes and vehicle will start.

The VATS opens the starter relay control path disabling the start function.
This symptom shows the key socket in the steering column needs replacing due to the 'leaves' in the socket are of light weight construction - they simply wear out and replacing the lock under the s/wheel fixes it.

If you do it yourself, any GM dealer you get it from, will need ownership proof and your key to match the new installation, otherwise, if the dealer/independent shop replaces it, they take care of the ownership details.

You can find the resistance of the key chip and solder in a resisotr matching the resistance, but you lose all the VATS functions.

When you pull out the combo switch handle - t/signal, wipers & washers - from its rubber grommet, pull hard but limit the stroke to one inch, otherwise you'll be buying a combo switch to replace AND notice/write down the route of the combo wires int he top of the column you don't want them to get wrapped around the column shaft and blow a fuse.............ask me how I know this.......

Welcome to the Club, both of you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was having trouble with my 95 Z28 a few years ago, I turned the key and wouldnt get anything, not even a click. I bought A new key and it fixed it.
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts