Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do any of you know where i can find a transmission mount to put a th-400 into a 72 chevy vega?

·
Registered
177 Posts
TransDapt, Hooker and Don Hardy all made them- I'm not sure if they still do. I've used all 3 and they were really simple mounts, basically straight square tubing with tabs welded on the ends. It would be very easy to duplicate if you have access to a welder.

·
10,147 Posts
let me warn you.
I helped do a V8 Vega many years ago. The car recieved a small block 350 and th 350 trans, 12 bolt, and the spare tire well was cut off and a firebird gas tank installed, bigger radiator, 7X14 steel rally wheels with wider tires put on.
The car wound up weighing about what a SB first gen Camaro would weigh! 2200 lbs. (CORRECTION - 3000 LBS!)

It would have been far easier to just do a Camaro.
The car still had undersized brakes, wheel wells limited tire size etc.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 11-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
177 Posts
David, you've got me wondering about that too. I've done about 5 or 6 Vegas, and 4 Camaros, and I've always been under the impression the Vegas were about 4 or 5 hundred pounds lighter than the Camaros. A basically stock small block in a Vega feels a whole lot faster than a Camaro with the same motor. I always figured the Vegas for about 2600 lbs., and the Camaros closer to 3100 or so.
Jvolk, a big block in a Vega is a nightmare unless it's a track only type car with a tube chassis, struts, and no inner fenderwells. If you're just building a street toy and don't want to fabricate half the car, go small block. The extra 250 lb. savings will come in real handy on the first panic stop with the Vega brakes.

Of course, a big block Vega is about the most bad-*** you can get on the street!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dedided im going to take the vega as is....full cage, slicks, 350, NOS cheater sys., 12bolt w/ 4:56's....ran 11.70's on motor and drag radials. hehehehe slicks and 200shot up next.

·
10,147 Posts
Let me know how much it winds up weighing.
We did a lot of work on that car and in the end, it would have been better to have done a Camaro. Maybe his scale was off.
The car weighed around 2400 before mods, I think.
We could barely cool a SB 350 and auto trans, had to use a trans cooler that didn't block air flow to the radiator. It had a whoever the vega guru was at the time. Name started with an "H" like Hickey, or Harrel?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the vega ended up weighing around 2700 when it was finished. ill get it on a scale when i get it.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i put a 350/TH350 in a 76 vega GT wagon back in 95...that thing was fun. handled pretty good,and the brakes seemed adequate.just a stock 350, but it moved. never weighed it,but it had to be light. i still have all the mounts(factory Monza V8) and headers- anyone know where i can get another one? it has to be a wagon-prefer the 73 and earlier ones.i have wanted one since i junked that one out.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

[This message has been edited by novaderrik (edited 11-27-2001).]

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey novaderrik, don't know of a vega, but I know of 2 monzas. One is actually a Olds Starfire. Both set up for a SB both have connecters installed and the olds has a 12 bolt posi in it.
Austin

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Austin-where are these wonderful cars you know about? are they in good shape? going cheap? my cousin wants a Monza. are either of them sticks? i have a bellhousing for that, also.the 400 HP 355 i have in my Nova would be sweet in one of those cars.

------------------

·
Registered
177 Posts
Novaderrick,
I'm always looking at the Auto Trader Online site for Vegas...I like to torture myself I guess. Anyway there's tons of them in there, everything from $1000.00 project bodies to $30,000.00 pro streeters. Look in the Collector Car area. Seen several nice ones recently for 3 to 5 grand.

·
Registered
207 Posts
my uncle did a 350 with a huge tunnel ram was a pain taking left hand turns ran it through Waltham mass with open fender well headers like on the old gassers dang it was fun till the cops saw it
i always thought a chevet would be better though

[This message has been edited by c4boom (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
475 Posts
novaderrik, both of them are near Rochester MN (home of the Mayo clinic). The Monza is in Byron (about 8 mi west of Roch. The Starfire is in St. Charles (about 15 mi East of Roch. Both cars have had complete paint jobs and are in good body condition. Neither have motor or tranny. The Starfire needs interior work and some wiring to be streetable, its med blue with a teal green stripe. The Monza is two tone blue with red and yellow stripes sererating the two tone.
The Monza is one of my old cars currently owned by a guy that I know. The starfire is one of my buddys old cars currently owned by my brother-in-law. My brother in law is thinking about getting a chevelle, if so the starfire is for sale. The guy that has my old car will sell anything. I won't be on here for a few days, but I can probably e-mail you some photos in about a week, if you want.
I'm not sure how much they want I would guess about $1000 I'll contact both of them and get prices. I think my brother in law has most parts to install a 4 speed (less tranny). I currently have 2 muncies ,might be willing to part with 1 of them. Like I said I'll be gone for alittle while, but I'll check this post and see if you want photos.
Austin

[This message has been edited by Austin (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Austin-- photos would be good. i really don't need any more cars, but if the car and price is right, hell, i can make room.

------------------

1 - 18 of 18 Posts