Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like to get the power top working again. When I bought the car 6+ years ago the pump and lines were dead so I just picked up a new pump and lines. Is there any way to test the cylinders for leaking before I connect up the system or should I buy new cylinders?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
No way to test them without hooking them up. If the rams show any pitting on the chrome or bends, they will leak. New repos are about $210 a pair. Be sure to save the nylon bushings from the old cylinders

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Like Gene said, the only way to test them is to put pump pressure to them. It's easy enough to unbolt them and do your testing on the bench, just need a ground and feed to the pump, but that might not show leaks (may not leak "unloaded", but when the wieght of the top is applied, it's old faithful time...), plus then you have to drain and refill the lines again to get them in the car (unless you can find three friends to help move everything while it's assembled).

After the first time I blew ATF all over the backseat area of the 68, I learned to wrap the cylinders top and bottom loosely with an absorbent pad or towel, and put one underneath. That catches most if not all leaks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts