Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's underhood wiring is a mess, and just to confirm, we would like to know what are the colors of the wires that connects to the coil on a 68 camaro, stock config.
There is a white, yellow, black, orange if I recall

thanks a lot
g.b.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If it's really a mess, then I would not be going by colors as who knows what might have been changed.
On the bulkhead connector, one of the pins (refer to a shop manual) would have had the original resistance wire coming out of it and this would go to the positive side of the coil. The positive side of the coil also has another wire that went to the starters "I" terminal which was opposite of the "S" terminal that the larger purple wire is connected to.

The negative side of the coil then had a wire that went to the points in the distributor.

If the car had a factory tach, then this would have been connected to the negative side of the coil also.

Some of the wires you have might also be for the wipers and the only way to know is to trace things down and/or do some electrical tests. Going by wire color leaves too much to chance sometimes.

Jim

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot, will have to look into that!

Would you happen to know the original colors they should be to help us track those wires first ?

The ''Mess'' is not super intense... but missing some butt connectors, a couple burnt wires... etc

thanks again
g.b.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Thanks a lot, will have to look into that!

Would you happen to know the original colors they should be to help us track those wires first ?

The ''Mess'' is not super intense... but missing some butt connectors, a couple burnt wires... etc

thanks again
g.b.
If you buy an Assembly Manual or the GM Shop Manual for the year Camaro you have, it will have a detailed wiring schematic inside it that gives all wire colors and where they go

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I have the pics for you 100% orginal coil setup for 68, I need your e-mail.

I always strip the original black tape to the firewall and 99% of the time you will see the original wire or what has been cut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts