Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Mike
343 Posts
Does anyone know what the angles are supposed to be at specific locations and where exactly to take the measurement?
For a mostly street driven car, my understanding is that the best driveline angle would be with the transmission yoke angle and the rear end yoke angle parallel to each other (no vibration)... and the driveshaft offset by 0.5°- 3° from the front and rear yoke angles for best U-joint wear.

NOTE: For a mostly strip/drag race car, the rear end pinion can be angled a little lower than the transmission pinion angle, since the engine torque under load (racing) will most likely lift the front of the rear pinion yoke some (but how much the pinion angle raises while under load really depends on the type of rear suspension and traction aids that are being used).

·
Registered
23 Posts
The most common reason for a car to shake is related to tires. If the tires are out of balance then the steering wheel can shake. This shaking starts at around 50-55mph. If your steering wheel shakes while you are braking then the problem could be caused by “out of round” brake rotors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok guys, quick follow up here. I dropped the car off at Driveline Solutions in Calgary. Turns out the drive shaft was 2" too short and the diff angle was way off. They welded an extension in the shaft and repositioned the differential. I test drove the car to 110 mph and it is smooth as glass! So basically whoever did the restoration did not take the time to complete the driveline correctly.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
2" short...wow. Must have had a lot of the front yoke exposed. Several have done 700R4 trans swaps in 1st gens. IDK what DS is used but a 700R is longer than a TH350 or PG...so a 700 would require a shorter than stock DS so the stock DS would be cut down...weird the shop had to "add" 2" so maybe the DS was for some other car

21 - 25 of 25 Posts