Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! I have a 75 Camaro (350ci) that develops a wobble at around 45MPH, then gets worse up until 60-65MPH then gets a little better as speed increases, however the wobble/vibration is still prevalent. It feels like unbalanced tires, but I had them checked and rechecked. I have replaced the trans-mount which was bad, I replaced the U-joints which were also bad. The car has new tires. The rearend was 3 pints low of dope before I topped it off. I just replaced the rotors with new bearings. Nothing is working, the wobble is still there. The transmission(TH350) has 25,000 on it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Frustrated and Out of Ideas

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Sounds like tie-rod ends to me. Or something going on in suspension. Do a test, car ramps work best because weight of vehicle is still on tires and you can look up underneath at suspension. Have someone rock the steering wheel back & forth. look for sloppy tie-rod ends, pitman arm, loose steering box and or ball joints. It could be one thing or combination of things. Don't forget to set E brake and block rear wheels.(saftey first!)

·
10,144 Posts
Check each wheel on the car for runout, wobble. You might have a bent hub, or axle flange.
Other than that you just have to start checking out all the suspension. Start at the front and work to the rear.
Don't forget to check the rear spring bushings, and spring plates.
Also check for a bad shock.
David

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also check rear wheel hubs for in/out and side to side play. If you were down 3 pints of fluid in the rear axle I might suspect you have now got some bearing and/or c-clip wear problems.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Agreed as a stated above. Had the same problem on a 67 Firebird 400. I replaced the axel since it had a bunch of end play. Problem cured.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28

·
Registered
226 Posts
check the inside and outside track for wear. Wearing on the inside, lower suspension. Wearing on the outside, Ball Joints. Check alignment. Push up on the Tie Rods to see if theres alot of play. This may be a long shot but if you have one bad Radial tire, it will throw your whole car off. As for the axel, never had that problem so they are probably right above.
www.geocities.com/macgse/68CamaroRS.html

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh..By the way, are you sure they put the tire weights on correctly. Remember, the 15 year olds usually are the ones that do that. lol.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I find that the high speed balancing is usually ful of %$#! because a bubble balance works fine everytime.. and 9times out of 10 the HS balancer is out of calibration, therefore although it may say OK here put a weight, it is out of calibration, so its wrong...

another thing people forgot to mention with the tires part is , somtimes tires have heavy spots too, and require alot of wheel weights because they are mounted "usually by coincidence" to the heavy side of the rim. they may just need to be remounted and properly balanced... my67rs runs smooooooooth, especially on nice new blacktop...

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 04-04-2000).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the rear axle for side to side and in/out play and there was no play side to side. The hubs had a very slight amount (a couple hundreths of an inch) of in/out play, is this normal? I saw nothing abnormal with the suspension, however, I'm not experinced with diagnosing suspension problems. There is roughly 15,000 miles on the front end parts to include upper/lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, shocks, and coil springs. I found nothing wrong with the rear suspension with the exception of a shock bushing coming apart, could this cause the problem?

Thanks in advance for all your input

·
10,144 Posts
The shock bushing could probably cause it. Have someone follow you and look at your wheels when it's doing it. Maybe you can pinpoint at least what end of the car is causing it.
Usually you would feel rear suspension problems in your butt.
The front end problems would be felt more in the steering wheel.
David

·
Registered
15 Posts
I HAD A VIBRATION PROBLEM WITH MY 90 RS. I AM RUNNING A WIDER TIRE ON THE REAR, BUT ON THE SAME STOCK WHEEL. I WAS OVER INFLATING THE REAR TIRES BY ABOUT 3 POUNDS, 35PSI. I NOTICED I WAS GETTING TREAD WEAR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TIRES. I LOWERED THE PRESSURE TO 32PSI AND THE VIBRATION WENT AWAY, ALONG WITH THE TREAD WEAR. MY RATIONALE WAS THAT I NEEDED A FEW MORE POUNDS OF AIR TO COMPENSATE FOR THE LARGER TIRE. I WAS WRONG.

------------------

·
Registered
176 Posts
LAYDBAAK, Lose the caps my friend, it means you're shouting. Not trying to be rude,but it looks bad and is hard to read.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
the bitterness of poor quality remains, long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the car to get the front end aligned only to find the tie rod sleeves frozen to both inner/outer tie rods. I replaced both inner/outer ends and had it aligned...still have the same problem. When I had the car on the lift I noticed the boots on the lower ball joints were torn to hell, could this be the problem? I'm not sure what effect the lower ball joints have on the suspension. The tires show no sign of uneven wear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tires are 235/60 14" @28 psi(all four). I feel the wobble/vibration in both the wheel and the seat.

Thanks everyone for all your ideas

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car was in storage for 5 years. There is only about 15,000 miles on those parts, however, it was seven years ago when they were replaced. Sorry for the confusion. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by davidpozzi:
If you had the ball joints replaced, the boots should not be torn up!
David
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
236 Posts
A worn pitman arm can cause a bad wobble
at medium speeds like you are experiencing.
Has this been checked?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does the pitman arm come off the steering gear or is it on the other side of the center link? There is an arm that connects to the frame and another arm connects the frame mounted arm to the center link. I'm not sure which one is the pitman arm. What do I check for? Please help.

Thanks for your reply

[This message has been edited by lowecw (edited 04-07-2000).]

·
Registered
236 Posts
The pitman arm is the one connected to the
steering box and the other one is called the
idler arm. Usually the pitman goes bad first.
One of my previous 69 Camaros had a bad pitman arm and when I drove over 40 mph, I
could barely hold onto the steering wheel. But if I drove faster, it would settle down
some about 60 or so. Changing the pitman arm
solved this and the car drove great after that. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
10,144 Posts
OH- The pitman arm's connected to the- drag link..
The drag link's connected to the- tie rod.
The tie rod's connected to the- toe adjuster.
The toe adjuster's connected to the- steering knuckle....

All together now- 1, 2, 3,

1 - 20 of 39 Posts