Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, about a few months ago, I noticed that there was a vibration in the clutch pedal when the pedal was depressed. I looked into it and replaced the throwout bearing. It started doing it again. Can anybody give me advice on how to solve this problem? I highly appreciate it.
PS: If at all possible, I'd like it if I didn't have to take the tranny out again.

Thanx,
Jason

·
Registered
571 Posts
Something in there is doing more than just spinning. Worse yet you know the parts. At least you have fresh clean seats on the bolts and your are practiced in the procedure. During work on the flywheel and other parts, was a torque wrench used and is it possible somebody else didn't use a torque wrench in the almost 40 prior years.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It sounds like it is possible that the transmission input shaft is shaking because either the pilot bushing/bearing is missing or the the pilot bearing is shot. It could be a broken spring in the pressure plate also. That can cause some clutch chatter. I think you need to pull everything up to the flywheel, check the torque on the flywheel bolts, install a new pilot or bearing, inspect the clutch disk and pressure plate and replace if necessary and torque to specs. Install the bell housing, throw-out bearing and clutch fork. Install the transmission. Do not force the transmission in. If it doesn't go in, put someone in the car, have them depress the clutch and you should be able to wiggle the input shaft into the pilot bushing/bearing. Good Luck.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If it is the mating of the input shaft and pilot bushing or bearing, the wobbling will damage the bearings in the end of the input shaft where the main shaft and input shaft mate. You could also cause some damage the gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts