Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loud vibration. I thought it was in the drive train because the faster I went, the louder it got. I can't feel it in the steering wheel. It is also still there whether or not the tranny is in drive or if I put it in neutral and coast.
Here is what I have done so far. Neoprene motor mounts, tranny mount, and spring pads.
I also took the drive shaft to a shop and had it put in phase and balanced.
Any ideas?
1969 Camaro, TH350/TCI 11" breakaway, 10" posi, 3.73's, 7.5" ring gear.
Thanks in advance for help. You guys are great.

------------------
They're always a work in progress!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys. The vibration has been there since I bought the car. It seems to start at about 35 mph, and stays no matter how fast after that, although it smooths out more at higher speeds. When I lift off the gas and slow down it gets worse till I'm under 35 mph, then it disappears. I took it out this morning and took it up to about 60 mph, put it in neutral, and shut the engine off. No change in vibration. Going up hill doesn't seem to make a difference either.
Hope this info helps. Thanks.

------------------

·
19,839 Posts
manual or auto? i had a vibration before in another car one time and come to find out it was the converter <threw a weight> and ate the front pump bushing <auto>. the way i found it was to disconect the converter from the flywheel<push back> and start the car.if this doesn't vibrate then you know its from there back.
good luck.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the tire shop. Tires checked out good and were not out of balance. The tranny is a TH350 auto. Just had a TCI 11" breakaway installed last week, but the vibration was there before I did this. When I was putting the tires back on, I pulled on the axles and could get them to move back and forth a little bit, maybe a 1/4" or less. This is normal isn't it? Any more ideas would be greatly appeciated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The end play in the axle shaft is normal,
it sounds like the vibration you have is running gear and not engine or tranni, as it is still there when you shut the engine off.
To check axle bearings, they make more noise than vibration drive the car at a steady speed, turn right then left, like the Nascar guys when they warm and clean the tires,
if there is a problem with the axle or wheel bearings, the noise will be less when you turn one way and louder when you turn the other way.
I would look at the brake drums and rotors, are they rusted or is a weight missing from the drum, It sounds like you will find your vibration at the wheels, if you feel the vibration more in the seat thgen look at the back wheels, if the vibration is strong in the steering wheel then look at the front wheels,
You may also want to do a search on old topics, just search "VIBRATION", there are lots of posts on this topic.
Rob.

·
Super Moderator
32,437 Posts
I believe Rob may be on to something,

A couple of ideas, set the car up on jack stands, especially the rear axle with tires on, drop it into gear, and look for shake. Could need a new U-joint.

Another idea is to swap out an axle set of tires at a time. Could have a belt coming loose from the tire casing.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like we may have a similar problem. I posted Bad Vibration yesterday. My vibration starts at 75 mph and gerts worse as the speed increases. I know my is not front end, I feel it in the tranny(Manual) and seat of my pants. I also have jacked the car up, got it to 75 and felt the shake. To confirm it was not my tires, I took my tires off and did the same check. Be careful, if you have drum brakes, the drums will come flying off, bolt them on. I learned this the hard way, luckily I didn't kill anyone.

If and when you find your solution, let me know. I just installed new gears and then the vibration started. I think something is wrong with the pinion gear, so I think I will try to replace these gears with some new ones.

Greg

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hi All,

It's weird, but I just started having the same problem about two weeks ago. I was coming back from the Jersey shore one night. I had the windows rolled down, but was playing the music quite loud. I was coming up to a toll, so I cut the radio and what I heard sounded like a rubbing brake drum. I thought it was coming from the passenger side, but wasn't too sure. Well, I made it home and decided to pull the rear tires off the next day. I found that my rear brakes weren't even engaging so I adjusted them. I pulled the fronts - everything looked great. After further driving, I found out that the vibration comes in at 35 mph and continues upwards with and without the clutch being engaged. I felt for play in the front bearings, but they feel to be just right. I really can't tell where the vibration is coming from, but it almost feels like it's coming from either the front-end or from below the console (trans?). I'll be pulling the car apart tomorrow and will post another reply tomorrow night with my findings if any. Paul

·
Registered
936 Posts
LOL! Seems to be a common problem here.
Yep! My 69 RS as well. Mine comes on around 35mph and on up. Feels like a pulsating vibration. The faster I go the faster the pulsating vibration. Wheels and tires check ok, I did replace 2 bad Sub-frame bushings and it did help alot. Found a missing nut and bolt on the torque converter, replaced it but it is still there though. Flywheel looks ok. Drive shaft u jounts seem ok. I used to have a full set of hair when this started, Now I am bald ! LOL just kidding. It shure would be nice if anyone could help us out.

·
Super Moderator
32,437 Posts
After reading everyone's post, I suspect it to be the driveshaft or U-joints.

Chock the front wheels, front and back. Raise and support the rear axle on stands.

Drop trans into first gear, crawl underneath and look at the driveshaft rotate. Should be on a straight plane, any deviation from this would indicate a bad U-joint.

Maybe a close inspection of the driveshaft itself to see if its weights have left the premises, usually one at each end.

Remove tires, be sure to replace all lug nuts, as Greg suggested, check for shake.

Remove drums and check for shake.

Could be shocks, kind of far fetched, but a possibility.

Like I suggested earlier, bad tire. When tire heats up, belts could be coming undone from the casing. Won't ever find this when tire is cold.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys.
Put the car on jackstands today. Pulled tires off, put in gear, still there. Pulled drums off, still there. As mentioned before, had new u-joints installed in drive shaft and balanced. Bent axle? How do I check?
Thanks for info. I know with your help we can figure this out!

------------------

·
Super Moderator
32,437 Posts
One can check for a bent axle by bolting tire back on and spin tire and view tire from the rear and see any wobbly motion.

Might sit in front of the axle, grab axle with both hands, shake axle up & down, all around. Should not be any motion, just the sideways motion in & out, as you mentioned earlier. If there is up & down, bad bearing.

Try another driveshaft after removing driveshaft and spin it up to feel vibration.

Everett

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would a bad wheel bearing cause this vibration? I do have a little bit of movement up and down.

------------------

·
Registered
579 Posts
A wheel bearing is more likey to cause a noise rather than a vibration, Pull your drive shaft again and see if the caps are tight and binding, if you have access to another shaft try it.
Keep in touch and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys.
I had to work this past weekend and couldn't check out the car. I'll look at it this weekend and let you know what I find.

------------------

·
Registered
41 Posts
Something to think about. Had the same problem. Turned out that my car had been hit on the passenger side and my tranny was not inline. After some inspection and pulling I was able to remove the vibration

Dustynn

·
Registered
500 Posts
Had a similar problem with my '69. The rearend yoke was worn in the u-joint saddle. There's a tab on either side of the yoke to keep the joint from moving side to side. These tabs were worn and eventually the straps would wear and allow the joint caps to move outward causing a little slop. Wouldn't feel it on a hard load, but at cruising speed it would shake the fillings out of your teeth.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

1 - 20 of 24 Posts