Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, my other problem is that i have a vibration in the car. I can rule out the tires, the wheels (crager) did take alot of weights. I was told that my driveshaft is about an inch to short. I was shimming the starter today and thought that maybe, along with the driveshaft, maybe my pinion angel is off. Will this cause a vibration? If so, what should the proper angle be?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If you projected the center line of the transmission and the pinion they should form paralell lines. Depending on your suspension you can 'preload' the rear a bit by dropping the pinion down a degree or two. But I wouldn't recommend it for a street cruiser. Parelell is usually just fine. Depends on your setup.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
How did you rule out the wheels. Just because you can balance them doesn't mean they are true. You could have a bent or out of round wheel.

When does the car vibrate, all the time, above a certain speed, or above a certain RPM?

Is it a manual, or automatic transmission? Big block or small block?

Did you put a big block in a small block car? if so did you replace the engine AND frame mounts, and the transmission cross member If not you will have a driveline alignment issue.

Drive the car until you get the vibration, if it's a manual transmission, shift to neutral and push the clutch in. Leave the clutch in ans allow the engine to return to idle. If the vibration remains the same, the problem is behind the input shaft of the transmission, ie the drive shaft, pinion angle rear axle, or wheels. If the vibration goes away immediatly it's in your engine or clutch assembly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts