Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the community. I am probably posting this in the wrong area. Is there an area or website that I can check on the history of the vehicle via the VIN? Without having to pay? I am looking to purchase a 67 that is a ways away from me and want to learn all I can about it before driving to view it. Thank you so much for any help.

·
15,871 Posts
To answer your question. No

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some states like Illinois have an anti theft database where you can look up,a car and see if it’s vin is reported stolen and where it currently resides if registered. start with that. carfax and such are useless as they require you to enter a longer vin # than came on cars back in the day. In the end you really need to take a trip to see the vehicle rather than buyimg based on pics. Way too ,any people have got burned by doing that.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Your question is a little more complex than you may expect. The VIN tells you little. The trim tag tells you more. The question is if you can tell if either tag has been off or replaced. If not than the short answer is no. Get pictures and post them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys so thank you for the great info. This is a 68 I am looking at tomorrow. So I guess I should check for the VIN and the Trim Tag right? I would want to put a new instrument panel/ dash in it because I'm not sure what's in it now? Well, if you have any advice or notice anything from the pictures please let me know. This guy lives only about 20 minutes away and offered to drive it here for me to look at. Thanks so much for your time and expertise! Marketplace – 1968 Chevrolet Camaro · SS Coupe 2D | Facebook

·
15,871 Posts
The car is hacked up pretty well. That explains the asking price. The dash will be extremely difficult to change as it appears the original metal has all be cut out.

The door panels are wasted and loose wires under the dash. So make sure everything works. Lights, Signals, Horns etc.

Still could be a fun car. Check it out closely

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car is hacked up pretty well. That explains the asking price. The dash will be extremely difficult to change as it appears the original metal has all be cut out.

The door panels are wasted and loose wires under the dash. So make sure everything works. Lights, Signals, Horns etc.

Still could be a fun car. Check it out closely
Thank you for your good eyes! I was wondering about the dash. How much to change it back? ballpark? I will take a video of it tomorrow and post before I offer anything. Here's something you maybe didn't notice. When I asked about the quarters, he said he thought the previous owner had attempted to "flare out" the rear quarters in an attempt to achieve what is known as the "68.5 look" ? When I look at it close, I guess the top of them looks square like a 69. Again, I have no idea what the engine looks like. Will post a vid tomorrow. Thank you again for your time.

·
15,871 Posts
I will post a video after I look at it in person tomorrow. I have no idea about the engine. Thank you for your time to respond!
Looks like an old race car?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thank you for your good eyes! I was wondering about the dash. How much to change it back? ballpark? I will take a video of it tomorrow and post before I offer anything. Here's something you maybe didn't notice. When I asked about the quarters, he said he thought the previous owner had attempted to "flare out" the rear quarters in an attempt to achieve what is known as the "68.5 look" ? When I look at it close, I guess the top of them looks square like a 69. Again, I have no idea what the engine looks like. Will post a vid tomorrow. Thank you again for your time.
I agree with John - changing the dash back could be a big undertaking. Are you doing the work yourself or paying someone else? There's no real way to give a ballpark without knowing exactly how hacked it is as it could involve extensive metal work, paint work, re-wiring, etc. I would be very very cautious of those rear quarters too. I understand the attractive price but if you're not in a rush and can put a few more dollars aside I would strongly suggest doing so and waiting for something much nicer in the low 30s to come up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with John - changing the dash back could be a big undertaking. Are you doing the work yourself or paying someone else? There's no real way to give a ballpark without knowing exactly how hacked it is as it could involve extensive metal work, paint work, re-wiring, etc. I would be very very cautious of those rear quarters too. I understand the attractive price but if you're not in a rush and can put a few more dollars aside I would strongly suggest doing so and waiting for something much nicer in the low 30s to come up.
That is solid advice. I was thinking that after reading everyone's experienced based opinion. Something I don't really have. I wouldn't be doing the work. That is beyond me. I'm still gonna have a look at it and take a video. In the meantime, if this other car is still available by Saturday, I will drive to see it. I have cash that isn't a problem. I just want something solid at a fair price. As always thank you guys for your help! What do you think of this car? Marketplace – 1967 Chevrolet Camaro · SS Coupe 2D | Facebook

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Do you have a picture in your mind of the car you want? You are 2for2 with wanna be race cars and you wont be doing your own work. Since you want a stock appearing dash walk away from #1 unless you dont mind a money pit. Even if that thing is solid its gonna get away pretty quick.
Neither car has any money shots of the underside so you are seeing the bling and missing the reality.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you have a picture in your mind of the car you want? You are 2for2 with wanna be race cars and you wont be doing your own work. Since you want a stock appearing dash walk away from #1 unless you dont mind a money pit. Even if that thing is solid its gonna get away pretty quick.
Neither car has any money shots of the underside so you are seeing the bling and missing the reality.
I understand what you are saying. The orange car has pics of the underside I believe. This is all that is available in the state of VA. I don't want a wanna be racecar. I'm just trying to guage what is available compared to what I want. The orange car, to me, looks solid. I would just paint it black. It has tubular front suspension with disks. I would basically make a tourning/ restomod type car if I could.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts