Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of mocking up my Vintage Air installation. I ordered a factory vent rather than using the supplied one from Vintage Air. I do not have the dash pad with factory air. I was planning on trimming up the reproduction pad (non a/c) that I already have. I really don't want to buy another dash pad as I'm redoing the interior as my next major project in a year or two.
The upturned section in the vent cutout with the two screw holes is shorter than the width of the vent housing. Without a a/c dash pad to reference, it's a little confusing as to how the vent mounts in the cutout. The AIM isn't too clear. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the factory a/c pad mounts to those holes and then the vent housing mounts to the pad. The AMK screws I have for the a/c vents aren't long enough to cover the space when the vent is butted up against the metal dash. I'm thinking maybe the dash was cut up at some point. Looked at some pictures of replacement dashes but again hard to tell, haven't found any with detail.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,427 Posts
IMO, if your putting the time in to add A/C, you should go all out and get the correct dash pad that goes with it.
Here is a pick of my A/C dash and center vent....

Brett.....

·
13,868 Posts
IMO, if your putting the time in to add A/C, you should go all out and get the correct dash pad that goes with it.
Here is a pick of my A/C dash and center vent....

Brett.....

X2. The non AC pad is not conducive to cutting for the OEM vent. If you’re gonna cut maybe better with the VA supplied vent.

Reactions: Riverbud

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, if I get the correct dash pad, will the mounting make more sense? Is there a set of long screws that go from the front of the vent, through the dash pad and into the two mounting holes? I ask because the screws in my AMK bag are nowhere near long enough to do that. Just wondering why they bent up that small section of panel instead of just bending the whole upper edge so the vent could sit flush against it. I did find a picture of a dash where the cutout was similar to mine, so I don't think mine was cut up. As always, thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Dash looks fine. I too replaced the VA center vent with an original. I also bought a A/C dash pad. In my opinion that is the only way to go.

Reactions: Riverbud

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
I bought the factory pad as well as the factory vent, but Brett... how did you connect the two air supply hoses to the factory vent? Or am I missing a part? The VA feeder has two oval ports and a rectangular shape. The factory OEM unit is open faced rectangle with a damper.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I used the 2 oval ports for the Vintage center vent and put them in the OER center vent. I epoxied it to it. You can buy the adapter from Vintage air to go on the original type vent. Your choice. I just didn't want to wait on another part.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I bought the factory pad as well as the factory vent, but Brett... how did you connect the two air supply hoses to the factory vent? Or am I missing a part? The VA feeder has two oval ports and a rectangular shape. The factory OEM unit is open faced rectangle with a damper.
Well, it's been two years and I've slept since then, lol. After reading your post, I would have to think that the VA kit I purchased had an adapter that converted the two oval ports to the rectangular vent? One thing that has deteriorated with my old age is my memory. I'll try to aim my phone up in that direction tomorrow and see if I can gain some knowledge for you.
Wait a minute; you say the VA has "Two oval ports and a rectangular shape". Does that "Rectangular shape" happen to match up with the "Open Faced rectangular" of the OEM vent?

Brett.....

·
13,868 Posts
Here’s the part you need to hookup the OEM Center Vent

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
776 Posts
John is correct - it's a stand alone part since the factory vent requires it if you deviate from the VA kit. I ordered mine from Summit as well. As far as the question on screw length it all works when you use the factory a/c pad because it moves the vent closer to the sheet metal than you have pictured above.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
Thanks for the pix guys...I have that part, it just didn’t seem to fit perfectly. Was worried about it possibly having the OEM damper hit the “adapter” but I played with it and I think I can make it work. A couple of shallow trim screws on one side to locate it so the damper doesn’t hit... and then stuff the gaps on three sides with some foam with adhesive backing.

Getting the old side Astro-Vents out was a challenge as was the OEM Y-shaped air pipe assembly. I’m putting new OER chromed internal diverters in, drivers side didn’t have the original felt “bearings” LoL so I’m gonna have to get creative there too.
5E737DB3-AB05-4BA8-8BE9-5BD646C2346B.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
Tim... I followed your lead, stuffed the gaps with adhesive-backed foam strips before assembling, had to play with it to ensure full swing of the damper. You put it too close to the "stop" and the damper only travels to 3/4 open. Worked out fine. We hung the Evaporator this morning, so now I'm trying to figure out how to cut the air ducting and not wind up short. Wish there was a diagram that said "Defroster to Evaporators... 11" and stretch".

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yes! A real B****. I do remember that, lol.
Brett

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
Oh yeah... Well, I'm getting there, but I fell short on the center dash so I just ordered some extra hose from Amazon. Not really having a problem with the barbed fittings, but its a crapshoot trying to figure out how much slop to leave in the length. I have both the defrosters all set, didn't think I over used the hose, but the two center vent hoses are a bit on the short side, barely making the dash. Gonna use longer hoses and that'll help assembly and disassembly when/if needed. The PS Astro-Vent is connected at the dash, have it over the top of the Evaporators behind the center support.

Thinking about throwing in a 6 X 9 coaxial speaker in case I ever get a radio LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Do it! Now is the time to get a speaker in there, 'cause you won't want to revisit this area for a Looong time! lol.....

Brett.....

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
815 Posts
Decided I'm gonna pass on the speaker. I have a portable Bluetooth that runs for 8-9 hours without a charge, actually ties into my iPhone and can pick up in-coming calls. It fits in the glove box when its not being used. For now I still like listening to the motor mostly LOL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts