Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to finish my Vintage Air install and have a couple of wiring questions specific to the AAW Classic Update kit I previously installed.

First - can I use the 30 amp fused accessory lead that comes with the AAW block instead of using the circuit breaker which comes with the VA kit? I am going to use one of the extra switched ignition leads to fire the violet wire as well.

Second - is it really necessary to run the two white wires back to my battery ground post in the trunk or can I use an under dash grounding block?

I feel like I can eliminate a lot of long leads by doing the above but not sure if it's appropriate.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Lots of guys successfully don’t follow the instructions but you should understand that there is a risk of noise interfering with the operation of the unit. That is why they specifically state to run the red and white wires straight to the battery. That is also why there are two white wires. One for the high current, the other for the sensitive electronics.

I recommend you retain the thermal circuit breaker. They have a higher tolerance for surges.

Don

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of guys successfully don’t follow the instructions but you should understand that there is a risk of noise interfering with the operation of the unit. That is why they specifically state to run the red and white wires straight to the battery. That is also why there are two white wires. One for the high current, the other for the sensitive electronics.

I recommend you retain the thermal circuit breaker. They have a higher tolerance for surges.

Don
Thanks for the response Don. I am inclined to follow them (the directions) but wanted to see if others had done something different. It's not a problem to run them to the trunk and I intentionally purchased the yellow top so I could have accessory wires going to the screw in connectors on the side of the battery. I thought it would be nice to get rid of the breaker and use the included 30 amp fuse but will probably stick with the VA factory directions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts