Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,

I believe I paid about $1200.00 for the complete system but I did do some upgrades that were not from them.
I used the stock vents and had to install some adapters to drop the size down a little. If you do this, make sure you get the clips that hold them in place.
I also sealed the adapters with silicon so that I will not lose any air at all..
So I would think that you could add on about another $200.00 for the other items.
It looks just like the stock setups that I have seen (from the inside) and the VA setup is very complete..

I hope this helps,

Rob

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I ran the hoses hidden through the fan hole using a 67 Chevelle plate from Vintage all the way to the inside unit. That way it minimizes the connections and the firewall is smooth. If you have someone else install it usually runs a grand or better. Doing it yourself is more fun and following the directions with the help line to vintage makes it not too difficult. I did mine with the front cap off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think I am capable of the instal myself so was hoping to find someone that had it done to see what the cost was

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am installing the classic air system now in my 67. It is a lot of work but if you follow the directions to the T it is very doable. If you have a friend that is handy you can do it. The system I bought is for a 67/68 Camaro and fits quite well. This co is very very good to work with!!
John

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I installed my own also, but I think any competent, experienced shop should be able to do the basic setup-no custom stuff in 8 hrs labor plus parts. I was in for $1150 kit delivered if I remember correctly, plus additional custom parts.
Shop hours swing wildly from $45/hr - $75/hr (and more) depending on locale, so I would think $400-$800 labor.

·
13,868 Posts
I do a lot of VA installs for friends and as a result I've ended doing them for others that end up calling me.

I charge $1000 plus the system any other parts such as pulleys, heater hoses and belts and the cost to have it charged of about $140.

I buy GenIVs for 1250 shipped.

Shops I know of here charge anywhere from $1500 to as much as $2500 labor to install them.

The systems are not hard to install. Just time consuming What takes the longest is getting the old stuff out.

Reactions: 1stgenCR

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am not fast and always measure 10 times and cut once! I will easily have over 70 hrs on the install. I made a center vent transition to clear the speaker and hold the two parts together. I also had to reduce the standard 1967 astro vents down to 2".
Had a lot of time modifying the controls so temp was temp and AC/heat nameplates were period correct. Also my car was a heater/AC delete when I started. I also want to run my AC
Lines in the fender which will require new lines. It is a big job but a lot of fun. If you did this every day and used all the stuff as it comes from the system people ( non period correct) you might be able to do it in 2 days. Just my opinion.
John

·
Registered
275 Posts
Richard
That is a very good price. Suggest U take your car in for the quote so that they see exactly what they need to do for the install. I would also suggest you get everything in writing describing the exact details they intend to include in the quote. It is always best to make sure the shop you choose has experience in the install of vintage car AC. You want to make sure you are not their first AC install. I recommend a min of 2 quotes preferably 3. You also might want to be sure they have the charging equipment to include the Freon installed. You can go through the AC system manual you purchase and comprise your own install sequence and have them check off that they will include that step in their quote. Good luck and enjoy the experience.
PS my system still working good!

·
13,868 Posts
This thread is 7 years old.

It's an easy weekend job. Just follow the instructions

Reactions: Just 1 More

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
776 Posts
This thread is 7 years old.

It's an easy weekend job. Just follow the instructions
I don't know if I could do it in a weekend but I don't think it's worth $1400 to have it installed, probably not by half. Like John said, follow the instructions and it walks you through - this is a very well developed and complete kit.

·
13,868 Posts
$14 to $1500 for a shop to do it as a fair price if they’re including charging the system.

the hardest part of this job is removing all of the original factory components remember you have to remove the right front fender to get the old blower motor box out.

·
13,868 Posts
A fair price is $1000 - $1500 for install and charge plus the cost of the the parts.

Total should be no more than $3500

1 - 20 of 37 Posts