Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Camaro Convertible
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm trying to fit the Vintage Air glove box into my 69 w/o air. The directions are not very helpful. Has anyone installed this high quality plastic piece? Is the glove box the only thing you're supposed to see when you open the door or is the metal lip of the dash visible (glove box installed form behind)? It doesn't seem obvious which way it should go.
The directions say to fit the glove box and drill six holes in the dash, but there already are 6 holes in the dash from the factory in the exact location their drawing shows to drill. Thanks.

Paul

·
Premium Member
Shawn Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro LS3, TKO 600
760 Posts
Hello, I'm trying to fit the Vintage Air glove box into my 69 w/o air. The directions are not very helpful. Has anyone installed this high quality plastic piece? Is the glove box the only thing you're supposed to see when you open the door or is the metal lip of the dash visible (glove box installed form behind)? It doesn't seem obvious which way it should go.
The directions say to fit the glove box and drill six holes in the dash, but there already are 6 holes in the dash from the factory in the exact location their drawing shows to drill. Thanks.

Paul
Paul, the metal lip was visible after I installed mine, but maybe I did it wrong.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,298 Posts

Here is a picture of mine (not real good due to the glove box light). I do remember it was a little fiddly and took far more messing around than it should have. Once in I decided it was correct since I tried all 17 other combinations...:oops:

·
Registered
1969 Camaro Convertible
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
😁 That was my experience also! I tried it every which way and they way you have it is the only way it goes in without interference. The directions state to push it in from the front, but it doesn't work that way. I wonder if the stock glove box could be modified to work and look better.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
😁 That was my experience also! I tried it every which way and they way you have it is the only way it goes in without interference. The directions state to push it in from the front, but it doesn't work that way. I wonder if the stock glove box could be modified to work and look better.
I looked at that after the fact and I think you could since the mounting points don't really have anything to do with the modification - they just made the glove box much shallower. I was disappointed VA didn't do a better job but I guess it is a low priority for them.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,240 Posts
Paul... The VA plastic glove box went it pretty smoothly for me, and yes, you do see the metal sill when you open the door. To fit the box, bring up the LHS of the box vertically on the right-hand side of the opening, then pivot it and slide it over to align it. Mine had tiny pilot holes on the lower edge. Holding the box tightly forward, I got those two trim screws in, then I worked the two side screws, used a 1/16" drill to make a pilot hole, did the same with the top two. Once you get the screws snugged down, the plastic is kissing the "flange" and there's no space between them.

This part looks like it was vacuum formed, probably would look nicer if they used textured material, although with heat and vacuum, it might distort the texture. I think they could've electrostatically flocked it, and that would would look closer to stock.

Now I have to mess with the lock because it's a little flaky, sometimes it unlatches with a quarter turn, sometimes it just spins LOL.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Paul... The VA plastic glove box went it pretty smoothly for me, and yes, you do see the metal sill when you open the door. To fit the box, bring up the LHS of the box vertically on the right-hand side of the opening, then pivot it and slide it over to align it. Mine had tiny pilot holes on the lower edge. Holding the box tightly forward, I got those two trim screws in, then I worked the two side screws, used a 1/16" drill to make a pilot hole, did the same with the top two. Once you get the screws snugged down, the plastic is kissing the "flange" and there's no space between them.

View attachment 277256

This part looks like it was vacuum formed, probably would look nicer if they used textured material, although with heat and vacuum, it might distort the texture. I think they could've electrostatically flocked it, and that would would look closer to stock.

Now I have to mess with the lock because it's a little flaky, sometimes it unlatches with a quarter turn, sometimes it just spins LOL.

Mike
Interesting Mike. You chose to overlay the bottom and not the top and I did the exact opposite. I can't really remember my decision making on the "why" of this but I think it had to do with the glove box light more than anything. Either way, for as many of these sold I would think they could make it fit both top and bottom simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,240 Posts
Interesting Mike. You chose to overlay the bottom and not the top and I did the exact opposite. I can't really remember my decision making on the "why" of this but I think it had to do with the glove box light more than anything. Either way, for as many of these sold I would think they could make it fit both top and bottom simultaneously.
Tim... Perhaps it just an installer's choice, but I prefer the "rolled" metal edge look as I open the glove box rather than seeing the raw plastic edge. I think it looks maybe a little more "finished"? On mine, all four sides are outside the rolled edge and the fit was pretty smooth, no stretching of material. It just looked logical and went together so easily, I guessed that it was the right way to do it.

My car is missing interior courtesy lights including the glove box light. Way, way down on my list of things to do, but maybe someday. I just got my Hurst shift boot late yesterday afternoon with the rectangular trim ring and I want to get that installed maybe today in-between house chores LOL. I also have to run a 12v line back from the firewall under the carpet to power the Trans Am seats that I'm going to install. Next week I'm dropping off the donor buckets and the back seat so that my upholstery guy can re-do the back seat to "match" the front, and I have to modify the TA seat frame rear bolt pad so it matches the Camaro's mount pattern. I'm going to sell the original front buckets (fresh covers) and if they are salvageable, I'll sell the rear covers as well. It never stops!

Mike

·
Premium Member
Shawn Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro LS3, TKO 600
760 Posts
I did mine the same way, but not for the light. I mounted my DLC and my Sirrus XM radio module in the glove box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts