Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few ?'s about vintage air. I am going to buy a sure fit system in the near future and I wanted to know what interior pieces I needed to make it all work. my car came with factory air for starters. I was not sure if I needed to re-use the heater controls for an a/c car or if I could use the controls from a non-a/c car (I have both.) second my a/c kick panels are a little wore out and I was wondering if I needed a/c kick panels or if I could get the much cleaner looking non-a/c panels. By the way my car is gutted and I would like to sell the whole factory a/c system (kick panels, a/c unit under the dash, evaporator, condenser, a/c compressor with hoses, dryer.. and so on) how much could I get for all those parts? the only thing I want to hold on to are the control cables and the heater controls. thanks for putting up with me! I would love to sell my factory a/c system quick so I can buy my sure fit or a new 383. thanks!

Justin

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Is there a reason you don't want to make the factory setup work? My Nova has Vintage air and if I had to do it again it wouldn't have it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The Vintage Air that I recently installed in my 69 worked well. It works with your current heater controls, and if you are replacing kick panels, use the non factor air ones....you don't need a set of extra handles to open the vents.

I also recommend that you think about using a firewall smoothing technic that covers the existing ugly hole in the firewall, cover it with the rest of the firewall, and bring all the hoses out the fresh air vent for the old heater (round hole on the passenger side in the inner fender well) and run the hoses between the inner and outer fender.

The factory system is just okay in so far as efficiency, but the Vintage Air is a better productive unit. I have put VA in several cars and have not had a single problem....works well and blows cold on hot Atlanta summer days.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

·
Registered
145 Posts
For the sure fit on a factory air, you have to re-use the original drivers and passenger side ducts and vents. You will have to cut some of the drivers side and add an adapter that comes with the kit. You will also need your center vent, but they furnish the duct for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HOTRODSRJ,

Do you need the factory blower motor/housing mounted on the firewall when using VA A/C? From your response, it sounds like you can eliminate all of that. I'm in the middle of my restoration process and eventually want to use a VA surefit system, but wasn't sure what to do with the blower housing. I'd love to remove it and smooth it all out now, while i'm doing body work.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larryboy:
HOTRODSRJ,
Do you need the factory blower motor/housing mounted on the firewall when using VA A/C? From your response, it sounds like you can eliminate all of that. B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve will respond but if you saw his firewall you would diddle your pants with excitement. SMOOTH as a babys butt. Not eliminated just hidden, VERY trick.

-Funk

[This message has been edited by CFunK (edited 03-11-2002).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts