Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to put Vintage Air in my 68 next spring as I will not have the car on the road until around Labor Day. Since the engine is out is there anything I should consider doing related to a Vintage Air installation now before I put the compartment back together? Any special radiator since I need to buy a new one?

If anyone has done this please let me know if I should do something now while access is easier.

Thanks.

Ken

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ken;

I'd recommend that you mount the unit (assuming that you have already purchased it) under the dash and get the firewall "block off" plates in place. At that point, you could verify if there are any extra holes in the firewall that you can weld up.

One of the things that some people don't care about with the Vintage Air units is the plastic cover plate that is on the firewall. (rather unavoidable while trying to market the kit for a reasonable price!!) Now may be a good time to think about options.

Another thing you could think about would be the routing of the hoses. On my 64 Chevelle, I converted it to "long" water pump and as a result the AC compressor was mounted on the drivers side. When I routed the hoses, I ran them forward and under the radiator core support. Then they run between the inner and outer fender panels. It cleaned up the routing, but one of the hoses is 11 feet long. (it doesn't seem to effect the operation)

If you go the the "technical reference" section of this site, you can read about what I did. (if it's not on the Team Camaros site, it's on the sister site, Team Chevelles)

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference Section

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wes V:
Ken;

I'd recommend that you mount the unit (assuming that you have already purchased it) under the dash and get the firewall "block off" plates in place. At that point, you could verify if there are any extra holes in the firewall that you can weld up.

One of the things that some people don't care about with the Vintage Air units is the plastic cover plate that is on the firewall. (rather unavoidable while trying to market the kit for a reasonable price!!) Now may be a good time to think about options.

Another thing you could think about would be the routing of the hoses. On my 64 Chevelle, I converted it to "long" water pump and as a result the AC compressor was mounted on the drivers side. When I routed the hoses, I ran them forward and under the radiator core support. Then they run between the inner and outer fender panels. It cleaned up the routing, but one of the hoses is 11 feet long. (it doesn't seem to effect the operation)

If you go the the "technical reference" section of this site, you can read about what I did. (if it's not on the Team Camaros site, it's on the sister site, Team Chevelles)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. I have not purchased the system yet but will now probably do so and take care of things before I put Humpty back together agan.

Ken

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wes V:
Ken;

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. I have not purchased the system yet but will now probably do so and take care of things before I put Humpty back together agan.

Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts