Team Camaro Tech banner

Vintage Air

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  67electro 
#1 ·
Hey!, I have looked through the articles I can find on vintage air, I am looking to order the system for my 67 Non AC Camaro, I have some questions, and need some suggestions.

I called VA for some information, they put me on with a tech, the guy acted like he was an expert at this stuff, but said some things that make me question.

He asked me what side I wanted to mount my compressor on, I said driver, because that’s where it will fit, I have a long style water pump, and a complete bracket set, alternator on passenger side top, pwr steering, etc. anyway, he was very against me ordering it that way, and told me that most of the cars had the alternator on the driver side, and had the AC compressor on the Passenger side, I am thinking I'd like to know what he is smoking. Please tell me if I am wrong and I will stand corrected. I have seen some nice custom jobs with some pricey I am sure bracket systems, with the AC comp on the passenger side, but I am not trying to match the gross national debt all in one shot. Has anyone had any experience with this subject and have any input? It hot, and I want ac, and I don’t mind putting it on the driver side, yea the hoses will run across, but ohh well, I can always changed it later if I feel.

Another question, he told me that the AC system came with vents that come out under the dash, for the AC, and he did not recommend cutting the dash, and installing the in dash vents they can sell you (for a high Price) he said is was really hard, and that there was no template. I have heard you guys talking about a template they sent you, is he on crack? Anyway. Even so, I can make my own template, anyone with a cereal box and a knife can make do.

One more question, he said for the center vent, I would need to find a used bracket, yes he said bracket, I am not sure what he means by this, and he said there would be nothing to mount the vent to. Anyone installed it this way?

Also, the Dash Bezel, mine has some of the chrome dented at the top, I want to replace it, should I purchase an AC bezel? Or get a NON AC and cut the hole, I don’t know if the vent from vintage air is a perfect fit for the AC bezel.

I really appreciate everything you guys are doing on here. Thanks allot.

-67Electro

[This message has been edited by 67electro (edited 07-09-2002).]

See less See more
#2 ·
I friend of mine use to have a shop across the road from them in the early 80’s, they started out building and installing AC systems for old street rods. They did great work back then, I never imagined they would expand to other vehicles but I think they know what they are doing.

------------------
Geezer

#3 ·
I have factory air in my 67 350 SS. I'm not an expert at restoration by any stretch, but I can look.

First of all, the alternator is on the drivers side and the compressor is on the passenger side. I've never seen a picture of a factory air 67 with the compressor on the driver's side.

Second of all, the vent system for AC cars was different. I don't know anything about templates or the custome fabbing that people may or may not be doing. However, I do know that there is a difference between AC and non-AC kick panels. Is that what you're referring to? I also believe there's a difference in the vents directly behind the dash (radio, et al.).

I don't know about the center bracket. For AC, there is a center vent above the thermostat controls. It's a chrome piece that you can buy at any of the repro houses. Could be that there is some bracket in the dash somewhere. Someone else will have to comment on that.

Don't know that I helped with anything, other than to verify the stock position of the AC compressor.

Good Luck.

------------------
K.A. Young
Daily Driver

#4 ·
Yea I know about the different kick panels, I am referring to the round ball vents on either side of the dash. And the center vent in the middle above the controls.

hmm.. That’s new information to me about the placement of AC compressor, I have Looked and looked for brackets and never seen anything except fancy aftermarket expensive stuff that had the compressor on the passenger side. anyone else have any info?

Thanks Alot

#5 ·
That guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Make sure you talk to someone else next time. I just installed Vintage air in my 67. I also have the long water pump. All they do is give you a different compresser bracket, and give you 2 long hoses. You have to trim the hoses yourself and get them crimped. Cost me $10 for both.

They do not give you vents to put under your dash. They give you stupid looking round vents to put in the stock vent location. You get templates for those and the stock vents. I installed the stock vents and cut the hole with a rotozip and finished it off with a large round file. It worked great and I didn't make one scratch.

Don't buy the stock A/C center bezel unless you plan on using the stock center vent. I bought one and didn't use it. The vent they give you comes in a cheesy holder and can't be aimed to both sides at the same time.

I bought 2 vents from www.springfieldstreetrods.com for $10 each and installed them in the stock non A/C center bezel. I cut the holes with the rotozip and finished with file. I used the duct they give you for the center vent. I had to space it back a little with 3/8" weatherstrip. I'm pretty sure this duct will work with the stock vent. I put a baffle in the duct because more air made it to the passenger vent. I don't know what "bracket" he is talking about.

It is an easy, straitforward install. Do yourself a favor and remove the passenger side fender/innerfender to get the stock blower motor and duct out. It will be quicker and easier.

I'll post some pics in a week or so. I'll answer any more questions if I can.

67 only came with short water pumps from the factory, SB's anyway.

Lonnie

------------------
67 Camaro, strip/street 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro, daily driver 388 12.07 @112
website

[This message has been edited by Lonnie67 (edited 07-09-2002).]

#6 ·
Lonnie: When you say they give you a different compressor bracket, is that because you told them you are using the long water pump (with alternator on passenger side I assume)?
I'm not familiar with a 67. Is it like a 68 with the astro ventilation round ball bezels?
And last, how much easier will this job be if I do it when I replace the top dash metal piece?

#7 ·
Long water pumps and the movement of the compressor to the driver side (and alt to the pass side) occurred in 69. I agree with Lonnie to call again, and talk to someone else. I would not conclude that the guy does not know what he's talking about. He's probably just thinking of 67 compressor locations on a 67, not 69 on a 67. Everything I hear about these guys is positive.

#8 ·
Checkout this link for brackets. Vintage Air uses these brackets. At least for my 69 they did. http://www.alangrovecomponents.com

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air
700R4 TPI transmission

[This message has been edited by TJS69 (edited 07-10-2002).]

#9 ·
Yes, the different bracket is for the compresser to be mounted on the driver side, because I have the long water pump. They just trade straight across. The guy asked me up front what water pump I had. He told me 2 of the hoses will be sent uncut and uncrimped. No hassle. The side bracket is like the low profile one in the link, but the front bracket looks totally different. Unless you remove the whole dash, removing the top part won't make it any easier.

67's don't have astro ventalation. The vents I installed look identical to the 68's vents. They give instructions and block off plates for the 68's.

The kit is very complete and the instructions are very good. I just didn't like any of the vents that it comes with.

------------------
67 Camaro, strip/street 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro, daily driver 388 12.07 @112
website

#10 ·
Thx for all of the info, I got a hold of a guy there who helped me out. I ordered it with the astro vent pair, they look better then the standard, and he said the kit comes with 2 center vents that go right next to each other, they look ok, and allow you to direct the center vent to 2 directions. Anyway,

Lonnie67, its a small world, I bought my car in Gilbert, AZ. I lived there a year and a half ago. The guy that I got the car from lived 2 miles from me, on Chandler Blvd and Lindsey. I lived in a neighborhood near Chandler blvd and Gilbert. Krazy

I found my car on the Internet, and the guy was 2 miles away.
Thanks again.

#12 ·
The big question? Why is it such a big question? I have heard allot of people and there funky twisted bending slotting bolt head Ideas, I have pulled the fender before, it wasn’t a big deal, I am going to do it, because I know it will be allot less stressful. I had to replace my heater core and that is the same exact task. And I would never want to try to take it out without removing the fender first. Yea some guys could do it, but everyone I have heard that has done it had to remove most of the bolts anyway and flex the lower fender out and jam a 2x4 in there to make room for your arm and it just seems a little excessive. Anyway. I just know what I did last time, and it’s more then acceptable

#14 ·
Yea, the hardest part to me is the nose peice, above the grill, I have found taking the battery out, you can hug the car and get it with a wrench and a socket, otherwise its pretty self explanitory. just be carefull as to not drop the fender in the process

-67electro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.