Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
There was a place on line that did it. I haven't looked for it in a while. He had the correct reflective paints for the states that used it. I did my own as VA didn't use reflective paint in 69. Not hard. I painted the plate and then used a hard rubber roller to do the numbers and letters.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
1,125 Posts
I just figured out I can’t use my 1968 plates, because of the LS3 . Can’t say what I think.
Maybe a politician can check the opening point of a Holley secondary power valve?
Texas born free…..regulated into the next third world
Along with Commieformia
I liked life before the turn of the century 👍😆

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Sounds stupid. Most of us don't have the original engine either. I guess it's different here in the East Coast.🤔

·
Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
157 Posts
I just figured out I can’t use my 1968 plates, because of the LS3 . Can’t say what I think.
Maybe a politician can check the opening point of a Holley secondary power valve?
Texas born free…..regulated into the next third world
Along with Commieformia
I liked life before the turn of the century 👍😆
That sucks. So I'm assuming it's considered modified so you can't use a '68 plate? I considered '68 Texas plates but wasn't keen on the "Hemisfair" at the bottom so opted for a black personalized plate (396SSRS). TX didn't give me the option for a 1/2 space between 396 and SS or the dash between SSRS. I guess TX limits spaces because the lettering is bolder.

When I resided in NC I had (396 SS-RS).I tried 396 SS/RS but hashes not permitted.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
That sucks. So I'm assuming it's considered modified so you can't use a '68 plate? I considered '68 Texas plates but wasn't keen on the "Hemisfair" at the bottom so opted for a black personalized plate (396SSRS). TX didn't give me the option for a 1/2 space between 396 and SS or the dash between SSRS. I guess TX limits spaces because the lettering is bolder.

When I resided in NC I had (396 SS-RS).I tried 396 SS/RS but hashes not permitted.
frame , body , and engine must be 25 years old to qualify 🙄
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
View attachment 295968
You could always tag it and roll on. If challenged you claim that you had to replace the engine after it was tagged! I doubt that they would be that intrusive. I also considered an antique tag but thought it was rather unattractive with the model T in the center (or whatever that was). I have seen some TX antique tags that didn't look so bad but when I was looking at them it only showed the one with the car in the center.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
View attachment 295968
Agree….it stinks….most likely none of the folks who write these rules have ever owned a classic car; therefore, they just “don’t get it”. In South Carolina, my application was initially denied due to ”SG” being the first 2 digits, which is currently reserved for State Government vehicles. I finally got it approved; however, I’m not allowed to display the 2nd & exact same tag on the front. Was fortunate to find a high quality set of antique plates from a local Estate/Auction company.

Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Font Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
You could always tag it and roll on. If challenged you claim that you had to replace the engine after it was tagged! I doubt that they would be that intrusive. I also considered an antique tag but thought it was rather unattractive with the model T in the center (or whatever that was). I have seen some TX antique tags that didn't look so bad but when I was looking at them it only showed the one with the car in the center.
I’ve had those tags since 1979 ….I live in a county that generally doesn’t deal with anything but the everyday standard. They told me it wasn’t possible to use the 1968 plates at all. 🙄
I just never bothered with it till recently.
I might do as you suggested but that phase
“ falsifying information is a third degree felony “ doesn’t sound very nonchalant.
Technically…..the word “motor” shows a lack of correct language.
I could get off on a technicality 🤷

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
I use the 68 TX Hemisfair plates picked up at a swap meet. They appear new not restored. I just had to take the plates to the county for registration, no problem. Guy had hundreds of plates for all years.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I use the 68 TX Hemisfair plates picked up at a swap meet. They appear new not restored. I just had to take the plates to the county for registration, no problem. Guy had hundreds of plates for all years.
That's cool. I just thought people would ask what is Hemisfair? I had to look it up myself...

·
Registered
68 Base Camaro 355 Offy crossram Richmond Super Street close ratio 5 spd ivy gold 92K SoCal car
3,148 Posts
So do you members states allow registration with another states plates or are you just restoring them to use at shows?

I have the original California plates for my 68 but can only use the front one. Michigan only requires/provides a rear plate. They will allow a historic plate but must be from cars model year. So I have a pair of previously never used 68 green/yellow MI plate to register it. I dont think I would personally restore my CA plates, the patina is part of the story for me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
WOW - that sucks.
Indiana offers two options to use old plates. (Plate, only rear is required) One option is antique registration, the other is collectors or investment cars. Both options have to meet age requirements but only based on the car. Wonder if TX has an investment option?

Reactions: SY1

·
Registered
68 Base Camaro 355 Offy crossram Richmond Super Street close ratio 5 spd ivy gold 92K SoCal car
3,148 Posts
Michigan antique or "historic" as they call it is what I am considering. Only $35 to register good for as long as you own var. You can purchase historic plate from Michigan or use old plates from model year of car, 68 in my case. Downside is can only drive on Sunday or any other day as long as destination is car show, parade, cruise or club event. August has no restrictions, can drive everyday.

Other option just buy standard plates for around $100/yr. 2022 MI plates are throwback plates with the old state logo on them, so thats cool too. Looks like my original CA black plates and my AZ plates from when I lived there are just going to waste.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
So do you members states allow registration with another states plates or are you just restoring them to use at shows?

I have the original California plates for my 68 but can only use the front one. Michigan only requires/provides a rear plate. They will allow a historic plate but must be from cars model year. So I have a pair of previously never used 68 green/yellow MI plate to register it. I dont think I would personally restore my CA plates, the patina is part of the story for me.
For a vehicle 25 years or older you can use plate issued by the state of Texas that is the same year as the model year of the vehicle. The plate must have the original color scheme, and be in good, readable condition. If the original plate is approved by your local county tax assessor-collector’s office, a plate tab with a registration sticker will be issued to show the plate is valid.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
WOW - that sucks.
Indiana offers two options to use old plates. (Plate, only rear is required) One option is antique registration, the other is collectors or investment cars. Both options have to meet age requirements but only based on the car. Wonder if TX has an investment option?
There are three classifications. Antique, classic, and custom, but the use of “ year correct “ plates has restrictions. They must be original state issued,be approved, and they require the other criteria I mentioned above in post #8
Felony, whatever degree for , or however unlikely kinda outweighs the benefit.
It’s supposed to reduce the circumventing of emissions? or that’s what one Texas department of motor vehicles official states in an inquiry.
No doubt he was an educated, well informed state official. 🙄😆😆😆😆

1 - 20 of 31 Posts