Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Restored my black plate original tag and have it on the car, NC tag in the trunk, it is legal that way. Restoring the tag took me a good day but not a big deal, no reflective paint needed just black and yellow which I had matched at Lowes in enamel.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
WOW - that sucks.
Indiana offers two options to use old plates. (Plate, only rear is required) One option is antique registration, the other is collectors or investment cars. Both options have to meet age requirements but only based on the car. Wonder if TX has an investment option?
All they required from me was insurance proof of ownership and to examine the plates. Once I got to the head of the line it only took a few minutes. She tried to register it as an antique which is not what I wanted to do at the time. I should have . She had a very low fee and was to be valid for three years. Unfortunately, my title is misplaced so I have to apply for a replacement. Not a big deal just haven't done it. It is too hot here to drive the car. Cost for replacement title is $3

·
Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
161 Posts
All they required from me was insurance proof of ownership and to examine the plates. Once I got to the head of the line it only took a few minutes. She tried to register it as an antique which is not what I wanted to do at the time. I should have . She had a very low fee and was to be valid for three years. Unfortunately, my title is misplaced so I have to apply for a replacement. Not a big deal just haven't done it. It is too hot here to drive the car. Cost for replacement title is $3
One thing I have found in Texas is that the license and registration folks are much friendlier and helpful than what I dealt with for years in NC. I hated going to the NCDMV.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
One thing I have found in Texas is that the license and registration folks are much friendlier and helpful than what I dealt with for years in NC. I hated going to the NCDMV.
Yep, I had to re-register My wife's Equinox last week. Got inspection had insurance and expected problems since the renewal for was lost. Our mail $ucks. She just said that is all we need and I was back on the road in a few minutes. Used to be not like that. Here in TX you do not get two stickers. Get inspection, show insurance and you are good. Next registration for the 68 and the 85 will Antique, no inspection required. I always hated seeing some kid inspector take off around the parking lot of the Lowes behind their facility. Of course, their sign says no responsible for any damage. Damage would have been inflicted on the inspector and facilitated by an Atty.
On that note, all dump trucks carrying sand or gravel have a sticker saying stay back 300 feet. Not responsible for damages. NOT TRUE. Especially if they do not have the bed covered by renquired state law.

·
Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
161 Posts
Yep, I had to re-register My wife's Equinox last week. Got inspection had insurance and expected problems since the renewal for was lost. Our mail $ucks. She just said that is all we need and I was back on the road in a few minutes. Used to be not like that. Here in TX you do not get two stickers. Get inspection, show insurance and you are good. Next registration for the 68 and the 85 will Antique, no inspection required. I always hated seeing some kid inspector take off around the parking lot of the Lowes behind their facility. Of course, their sign says no responsible for any damage. Damage would have been inflicted on the inspector and facilitated by an Atty.
On that note, all dump trucks carrying sand or gravel have a sticker saying stay back 300 feet. Not responsible for damages. NOT TRUE. Especially if they do not have the bed covered by renquired state law.
I take my cars to an old school gas station where the men that work/own it are older than me by 5-10 years. They appreciate older vehicles, once around the block and it passed.
It should correctly say "not responsible for objects coming from the road". They ARE responsible for anything that comes off or out of the truck!

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
It should correctly say "not responsible for objects coming from the road". They ARE responsible for anything that comes off or out of the truck! Yes, that is a true statement. Sand blowing out of the bed or rocks they are completely responsible. I got hit by a #4 -8" round rebar stirrup in the windshield. Freaked me out so bad I never found where it came from.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It should correctly say "not responsible for objects coming from the road". They ARE responsible for anything that comes off or out of the truck! Yes, that is a true statement. Sand blowing out of the bed or rocks they are completely responsible. I got hit by a #4 -8" round rebar stirrup in the windshield. Freaked me out so bad I never found where it came from.
I had a nice 85 Buick Riviera around 2002 and a small rock came from a dump trailer in front of me on the highway, after he went over a bump, and it cracked my windshield. I followed him along side long enough to get the tractor license plate number, the trailer license plate number, the tractor unit number, the trailer unit number, the company name and number off the door, and the make and model of both.

I called the company, explained what happened and where. They said they would look at the schedule log and call me back. They called back, said yes that was their equipment, and it was scheduled to be on that road at that time, but it was on the return route and was empty, so they wouldn't cover my windshield damage. Which is a crock of ****, because everyone knows there is plenty of residual sand and gravel left at the bottom of a trailer that was hauling um...sand and gravel,..and some might have been stuck in the rear trailer tail gate, or a number of places on that rig.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Been doing hand lettering and custom paint 40 years. Plates are a cake walk. Or do what Keith said and just roll it. It will look fine.
I'm an auto painter by trade, 40 years experience, but manage a shop now but have done lots of custom work. But I'll be the first to admit, I am not a pin striper or sign painter. I know a few and watch them in amazement. I restored a few 1930's black plates by just doing what I know....sanding them smooth, spraying them white, when cured, spraying them black, and while it was still wet, wiped the black paint off the raised white letters with a rag just "dampened" with reducer (solvent). Came out pretty good.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts