Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna change transmission to 700r4 and add air to 69 camaro decided to install ac coil before transmission cooler trying to decide which ac system to buy so I can be ready for the transmission change out. BTW read on a post about moving alt. to the opposite side of engine where do I find the bracket?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,317 Posts
Tell Vintage Air or Classic Air you want to move the compressor to the passenger side, they will help you out. If you're willing to make believe its a 67-68, add a short water pump and there should be plenty of brackets/pulleys available to swap alternator/compressor. The other alternative is serpentine but that could lead to other issues.-Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought the Classic Air some time ago. Wish I bought Vintage. Pro: Classic air doesn't run the hoses through the kick panel. Cons: But the drip tube comes out too close to header and melts along with plastic cover. Pro: Vintage hoses in engine compartment comes out closer to the fender with a bulk head for the hoses. They both have all the brackets you need, but the ones I got from Classic (don't know what you will get from Vintage) were ugly and purely functional. I'm moving to a serpentine drive. Will have to fab up something for drip tube and panel. They were no help.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Classic is old technology. Many in this site have gone to vintage Air with no issues. Mine has been on my car since 2018 with no issues. With Vintage, you can put the compressor on either side. Short water pump route would be the easiest way to accomplish that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm at the end of my build budget and have been contemplating whether or not to drop the $1200 on Vintage even though I have perfectly fine Classic. Installed but never charged or ran. Plus I got new kick panels with speakers and Vintage doesn't accomodate for that. Open to opinions.

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I'm at the end of my build budget and have been contemplating whether or not to drop the $1200 on Vintage even though I have perfectly fine Classic. Installed but never charged or ran. Plus I got new kick panels with speakers and Vintage doesn't accomodate for that. Open to opinions.
I believe many people are now using a firewall bulkhead for all 4 hoses with vintage air instead of going through the old fan hole and through the kick panel. They run the hoses under the fender hidden and just come out where they attach to the bulkhead fittings. I'm with you, I am not interested in giving up the kick panel holes for AC hose routing BTW.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,317 Posts
I decided that the hoses coming through the firewall wouldn't really be that ugly, so here's what I did... made my own thru-panel. All my hoses are covered in TechFlex braid. That last picture is Vintage Air's solution to V-Belts. I sent back those parts and went serpentine with dual eFans.-Mike

My Bulkhead-00.jpg IMG_8597.JPG IMG_8602.jpg FRONTVIEW-01.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
These are a clean and cost effective way to pass hoses through the firewall. They make them for reduced barrier hose too.

Don

Reactions: Just 1 More

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,317 Posts
What type of front runner assy did you use? I looks great.
Dennis
Mine? Its Common Ground Motorsports (CGM) and I admit its a budget serpentine setup. First picture is of one of their builds, second one is mine. Third pix is of a SBC version, but the owner had everything billet powder coated. I kinda wish it had a tensioner, but everything seems to work fine the old-fashioned way.-Mike

CGM Setup BBC-00.jpg MyBBC-CGM-00.jpg SerpentineSetup-02.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Mine? Its Common Ground Motorsports (CGM) and I admit its a budget serpentine setup. First picture is of one of their builds, second one is mine. Third pix is of a SBC version, but the owner had everything billet powder coated. I kinda wish it had a tensioner, but everything seems to work fine the old-fashioned way.-Mike
Looks much better IMO then $1500 worth of fancy CNC milled brackets and a hardware store turn buckle that all the other systems seem to use. I hope I can find something similar if go serpentine on my SBC.

Jeff

·
15,491 Posts
I've used March Kits. Pleased with results.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,317 Posts
Looks much better IMO then $1500 worth of fancy CNC milled brackets and a hardware store turn buckle that all the other systems seem to use. I hope I can find something similar if go serpentine on my SBC.

Jeff
Jeff... IIRC they have almost the same setup for SBCs here's a picture I had filed away a year ago. Obviously the BBC is a little wider, and the adjustment slots are changed, but on mine the Compressor, Alternator, and PS Pump all are on lockable pivots with some adjustment range. Probably similar on the SBC version. Getting the belt tight is not an issue. I'd give them a call, they are in Tuscon, AZ.-Mike

eBaySetup-01.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts