Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at one tomorrow for 25 k. It is an x11 and doesn't have the original motor. I know what you all think about that. I need to know what to look for just to make sure its sound, evening its just a coupe?

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Re: Virgin oon buying a 69

pm sent. X11 style Trim Tags may or may not be an SS model. Must have power front disc brakes, a 12 bolt rear differential and a dual exhaust hanger in the drivers side rear wheel well. Biggest thing to look for would be RUST which is EXPENSIVE to remove. private or dealer seller? Cars with dealers usually have a commission markup. Without the original motor, the rear or not real SS factor is diminished. Are you looking to buy and operate or plans for change out in drivetrain, suspension and interior?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Virgin oon buying a 69

There was a guy that had an Rs Z/28 for sale around that price point Nom & Trans but a real rs/Z

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I went to see it and was not impressed. Some rust popping through paint.Looks like they welded some type of tubing from sub-frame to a traction bar set up,two different tail lights,gaps not great,dash pad cover, floor pans not put in right etc, etc. Now for half the money, I might.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Stephen,

Good call. For $25k you will be able to get a very nice car, provided you are very diligent in your search & learning along the way. I recommend you figure out what you want to do with the car. For $25k, you will likely not find a good driving Z/28, nor an RS/SS although maybe an SS, or an RS or possibly just a clean small block car. Preference for an automatic or 4 speed? You could also approach it from another angle and look for a great body in need of a drivetrain and suspension and then go the LS & T56 six speed route along with an updated suspension (that would be my recommendation). Better yet, look for a car that is for sale with the above mods already completed which will save you time and money although will need more than $25k to land it.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
X11 is appearance only(trim), not disc, not 12 bolt etc.

·
Registered
853 Posts
X11 is a favorite trick to trick new people on the scene into thinking that its a special model or an SS.

Sounds like that car is someone's haphazard project.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with u all and without your alls help, I might have made a big mistake. I will keep on looking for my dream.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a 350 motor that I used 20 years ago in a 2nd generation. It has the 2.02 valves and a 280-480 cam. I also have a muncie to go along with it. Its an old school set up by today's standards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another possible lead. What do I need to look for besides front grill and backup lights at the bottom? He wants 30k.
69 RS/SS

·
Registered
711 Posts
There is another thing to look for to tell if a 69 camaro is a SS originally or not. Assuming that the frame rails have not been replaced in the rear, check the drivers side. It will have a rectangular piece weld to the outside, that almost looks like it was patched. Now it was available as an option on the base v8 models, but, had to be ordered. It was standard equipment on the higher end models. Just another little thing to look for, and in your research on buying one, just another thing that you need to know to look for.

"Starting in 1969, factory dual exhaust systems were mounted to a welded reinforcement plate on the rear frame rail of coupes. The reinforcement replaced a rivnut attachment system that was used in 1967-68. 1969 convertibles did not need the reinforcement due to the inherent heavier gage of the convertible frame rail." Straight from CRG.

www.camaros.org

Read up, it will save you a headache in the long run.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Another possible lead. What do I need to look for besides front grill and backup lights at the bottom? He wants 30k.
69 RS/SS
Keep in mind that these cars are imitated/cloned all the time. Hideaway headlights, with vacuum operation. Look at the trim tag, and you can check to see if the interior that is present in the car matches what the tag says that it should have. Use that CRG website i listed, find under trim tag decode. There are a bunch of different things to check. I really can't stress enough, before you go and look at it, use that website, and make yourself a cheat sheet. Print out the options, and find out all the things that are supposed to be present on that specific model.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts