Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to visit my car from high school today. It will take a few weeks for the guy to move the cars needed to get my car out. Good news is that she did not flood, this yard is up against the MS river levee. Bad news is that she is even more rusty than ever..........

She is behind a wrecked X55 car, a few GTO's and other misc detritus. At least she's in good company.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Rich...

Your heart must pound and flutter every time you see that car. The memories that you hold all these years :)

Kev

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
:D Rich,
That was your car in high school?

Wow!!
You must have had it really going on to get a brand new car when you were a sophomore!!!!
:D

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
If he's dragging it out, does that mean you are buying it back ?? Looks like it needs a little work.....:yes:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Let me be the first to say "that'll buff right out".

Congratulations on finding your car.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Can you say, "rustoleum paint job" ;) I wish I could find my first car...congrats!

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys. Believe it or not, yes, I am scheduling a trip to the goodmark center for her. She needs alot of lovin. I had her painted Deltron "Firethorn" red in 82, just after I bought her. Original 307 and saginaw 3 speed are long gone. Someone put a blue RS cap on her that the old owner is keeping in the deal (it's rusted anyway).

I gotta admit, it was like seeing an old war buddy after many years.
I just stopped and the memories came flooding in, and there may have even been a tear or two.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Rich congratulations! Had to be a thrill to see it again.

A lot of guys refer to the mid 60s to the early 70s as the muslce car years. I like to think the mid 70s into the early 80s was really the prime time for these cars. In high school from 75-79 the 67-69 Camaros were just 10 year old used cars. The cars were cheap and they were everywhere. Kids whose parents had money were driving 70-73 Camaros in my town.

Good example was going to test drive a used car at 16 years old with my dad. It was a 71 GTX 440 with open headers and a set of slicks in the trunk. I got to drive it, needless to say we didn't buy it. I instead ended up with a Nova and have been pissed ever since. But these kinds of cars were falling into the hands of teens in those days.

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly. While this was as base as you could get without a 6banger, it was mine, paid for by me. My dad was the firm type, you make your own way in life. I worked and winn-dixie (foodmart) and a veterinary hospital (shoveling. well, ..........) all summer. I had my learners permit by 14 (it was legal back then). He was a mechanic, old school (I remember him changing tires with a tire iron and rolling over then with the car to break em free) and we did not have much.

Like you said, the car to own back then (81ish) was the 79-80Z28 and/or Trans Am.

I found this car in the paper and my dad, me and my uncle went out to see it. It was listed for $450.00. Well, first thing I thought was, "that's not a camaro!", then after looking at her, I thought "It's Better!". I offered the guy $400.00 (which was all I had) and he said the lowest he'd go was $425.00. I begged dad, and he and my uncle "financed" the $25.

I could not yet drive a stick, so I got into the passenger side and dad drove it. When we got a few blocks from the house, he stopped at a stop sign, and with a big ole grin, looks over at me and says "Son, this is a fast car, and if I ever (as he pops the clutch, urches the tires) catch you (hit's second with a chirp) doing this, I'll take it away"

The start of many memories!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow, How cool is that. How did you find it?

Dan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts