Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been poking around on my '69 and noticed I have 12.67 at pos batt. term and Buss bar. Took out resistance wire to coil,changed to 14 gauge wire for my ignitor. Checking voltage at pos. coil term. I get 11.20, that don't seem right to me. Shouldin't it be the same as the Buss. bar? Any feed back would be welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
What you have there is voltage drop. It's caused buy poor connections, old wiring and stuff a long way away from the battery. Bad earths can sometimes cause the same thing. I'd go through things along the way and make sure any junctions are squeaky clean and well connected. You'll always get some.. but the less there is, the better things operate.

·
Super Moderator
32,351 Posts
Disconnect coil neg terminal and measure again.
If circuit is drawing current, voltage will be lower. Open circuit, voltage should go up.
David gives good suggestions.
Also, make sure there is no noticable voltage between any engine ground and neg battery post, typically, less than 0.4 volts.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope that your 12.67 volts is with the engine not running. Running you should be ~14.1
Engine running I've got 14.57, I'll check again with neg. coil disconnected thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
32,351 Posts
The 14.5 volts should be alittle less after driving the car for 10-15 miles, 13.8 maybe.
With engine running, what is the coil+ voltage?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts