Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 302 running today and found that my new alternator doesn't seem to be charging the battery...at least I think that's what my problem is. In the past the way I checked if the alternator is working properly is to remove the battery cables and if the engine stays running it's good and if it stops the alternator is bad. Well...when I pulled the positive cable the engine died. If the voltage regulator is bad (do they go bad?)would it cause this effect as well. How can I check to see if my regulator is good or bad? Help!!!! I've been waiting a long time to drive my car with the 302 back in my Z.

:mad:

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Hey Gary,

Put a screwdriver behind the rear bearing of the alternator while the engine is running. If you get a magnetic pull, you know the field coils are getting power.

-Mark.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mark,

Yeah, I did that too. But when I pulled the B- cables it died. And to make matters worse, when I pulled the plug out of the back of the alternator out came one of the spade connecters still inside the plug. I bought a NEW unstamped 61 amp alternator with a deep groove pulley on it from the "Coreguy1965" off ebay. I sent e-mail to see if I can get a replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts