Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to switch my 1967 SS Camaro to an alternator with a built in regulator...

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Go to the home URL of this site and search the tech reference link. It's either in the electrical or misc section - but there is a link that explains the details.

There is also a rather informative article recently with a link to an article about alternators. In particular, you'll want a 10si or 12si alternator. Try searching for one of these strings in the Electrical forum.

-dnult

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you have an extra $15.00 and you don't want to do any harness cutting or soldering, there are adapter kits. No electrical experience needed and done in around 20 minutes.
As dnult said, get a SI alternator that is clocked right and it will drop right in.
Use one of these kits for the wiring and you are finished.
To see what I am talking about, go to this site.
Look under 67 Camaro.
Look for the SI alternator conversion kit.
Click on the photo.
(Disconnect battery before installing.)
www.wiringharness.com

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Good point on the clocking John...I tend to forget about that detail.

-dnult

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
If your not concerned with the stock appearance, you could buy a one wire alternator from Jegs or Summit. I think the 100 amp units are around $100. I just bought a polished Powermaster 100 amp alternator with internal reg for $129 that can be used as a 1 wire or 3 wire. I currently have it set up for the one wire, so I could remove the voltage reg. I got the polished one and I'm not to happy with the quality of the polished job, but Powermaster makes a good alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts