Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am not sure what is the problem but I took camaro out today for the first time in a month and the weather was little colder today than it has been. But while driving my lights went real dim and the volts dropped to around 10 to 11 volts. About ten minutes it jumped back to 14 volts and then back down again. Could this be a low battery charge or something else. Where to begin??? The weather has been around 40 degrees all week. My car has never been driven in cold weather like this before. Some help would be great. Thanks, Erik

------------------
68 Camaro RS, Built 355, 274 Comp Cam, Sportsman II Heads 200 c.c. 2.02. Ported to Performer RPM Manifold and 1.75" Headers, 1.5 Roller Rockers, 650 Holley, Steel Crank, 12 Bolt posi with 4.11 Gears, TH350 tranny w/ shift kit.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 100 ampp alternator that is external charging. The alternator is pretty new. The battery charger says the battery is almost fully charged but not quite. I didn't know if the cold weather and not being run for awhile has anything to do with it.

------------------
68 Camaro RS, Built 355, 274 Comp Cam, Sportsman II Heads 200 c.c. 2.02. Ported to Performer RPM Manifold and 1.75" Headers, 1.5 Roller Rockers, 650 Holley, Steel Crank, 12 Bolt posi with 4.11 Gears, TH350 tranny w/ shift kit.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erik Beckett:
I have a 100 ampp alternator that is external charging. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I presume that by external charging you mean external regulator. Hmmm, I didn't know they made a 100 amp externally regulated alternator. Any chance your running underdrive pulleys with a overdrive transmission? Maybe the alternator isn't spinning fast enough. Otherwise I'd suspect the regulator / alternator.

-=dnult

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one of the new Jegs 100 amp external regulator alternator. It was fine all summer and seems so be fine now except for a few times the volts just dropped to 11 volts and stayed there for an hour or so. Then they would jump back up by itself. I never had this problem until the weather got real cold.

------------------

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would suggest to attach another volt meter to the charging system then take it for a drive. This will tell you if your car meter is correct. If the voltage goes to 11V then comes back to 14V later then it sound like regulator issue. If an alternator goes back it just goes, no if ands or buts. I would susspect the meter because your charger shows the battery being fully charged. You might want to check the connections of the meter. Just my $0.02.
Eric

·
Registered
707 Posts
Try giving the battery a few shakes and wiggles. To see if a plate is loose and shorting out. With a good battery even if it stopped charging It would take a hell of a draw or a short to pull a battery to 11v. I suspect a bad or faulty battery ! Most folks dont realize that a battery at 12.7v open voltage is fully charged one at 12.4 volts open is almost fully Discharged! Good luck

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro The Combat Rat
80 z28 Camaro 355ci
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Your symptom may be the alternator trying to charge it up then overheating and switching off (thermal protection) then back on. Remember alternators will fail in short order if they have to put out their max rated amperage for an extended period.

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro The Combat Rat
80 z28 Camaro 355ci
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put the battery on the charger and it said it was about 90% charged. I am not sure if I did it right but I checked the volts by putting the prods on the positive and negative terminals on the battery and came up with 12.68 volts. After it was fully charged I had about 12.8 volts at the battery. i hope this correct. Thanks again, Erik

------------------

·
Registered
241 Posts
not to change the subject but what ET's are you running with your combo? i have a very similair combo...thanks

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My best to date is 13.10 at 104 but since then I have installed a new tranny and 3000 Coan Converter. i replaced the 2400 with the 3000 and it is a totally different machine now. I can't wait to get back to the track. I am thinking this weekend or next. I am shooting for 12.80's.

------------------

·
Registered
775 Posts
Before you replace anything, check the connection that is on the radiator support behind the battery. Also check connections on the horn relay, on the back side of the alternator, and any other connections that you can find. I recently cleaned both of these connections on my Camaro and voltage inside the car went from a constantly fluctuating 13 volts to a rock steady 14 volts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts