All the repro companies I know of seel tops that are of the correct grain. The problem is they all see to use a thin layer of foam on the underside. The originals have no foam. Why they do this, I do not know. But, has anyone ever removed this foam before installing the top?
Yeah that fuzzy stuff ???
I wondered if that was the same as factory too. I procrastinated installing the top but tackled it a couple weeks ago and it came out fine. I used 3M 90 spray adhesive as the glue.
It is definately a two person job to get it stretched to minimize wrinkles. The hardest part was on curves, I made perpendicular cuts in the material on the curved areas which made the wrinkles easier to go away. I also made 45 degree cuts at ech corner where the material goes into the window channels. I did the top front to back. If I do another I would do half side then the other half.
I had a new vinyl top put on my 69 coupe a few months back... I purchased it through D & R restorations. it was a great price and looked super! Probably because I didn't try installing it myself... (I'm still traumatized from the headliner fiasco of '01)
A forum community dedicated to 1st generation Chevy Camaros owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, builds, restoration, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, reviews, and more!