Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a repro factory tach, which has a few problems.

First of all - the dist is an MSD E-Curve with a tach feed wire. Stock alt with external reg (electronic) Batt in trunk

- Tach needle bounces all over the place at idle. At approx 1500 RPM it smooths out

- At idle - with needle bouncing - if I turn on the park lights, the courtesy lights, or push the brake pedal, the needle smooths out.

- disconnect alt belt - works fine

- with tach feed hooked to coil neg, it works fine but quits @ 4000 RPM

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured it out w/ help from my brother. Bad VR, which is weird, because it was a newish electronic unit. Oh well, I had a spare electronic one and now all is well. He measured "frequency" with his multi meter and it was all goofy (I obviously don't know what frequency is)

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
Frequency: Number of waves passing a fixed point per unit time; also, the number of cycles or vibrations undergone in unit time by a body in periodic motion. Frequency f is the reciprocal of the time T taken to complete one cycle (the period), or 1/T. The frequency with which earth rotates is once per 24 hours. Frequency is usually expressed in units called hertz (Hz). One hertz is equal to one cycle per second; one kilohertz (kHz) is 1,000 Hz, and one megahertz (MHz) is 1,000,000 Hz. The musical pitch A above middle C (the A string of a violin) has been widely standardized as 440 Hz.

Two places freq can come from:
Alternator on the BATT stud due to an open/shorted diode,
Or induced from the field winding as the field is controlled by a pulsed signal rather than a linear DC voltage.
Alt BATT stud should show a small AC ripple, less then 0.2 VAC. Any huge pulses would be diode problem.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well.....I kinda got part of that, sort of, Everett. Thanks for the reply!

So I notice now - with the other Voltage Reg installed - that the tach works perfectly, but now the gen light is on. Switched back to the original reg, and then gen light is off but the tach is wacky. Time for a new alternator?

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
Once alt starts to run, field relay closes with power from alt R terminal to VR #2 and places battery power from VR #3 onto VR #4 to turn off the GEN light as GEN light gets IGN power on the other side of the bulb filament. Battery power on both sides of filament, GEN light goes out, hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
You're welcome. Always nice to help another with Anger Management.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts