Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pumped because Saturday my engine goes on the dyno on her maiden run. You engine gurus take a stab at what she will put out. Here is what she has:
454 block (60 over) 396 forged crank
427 forged Speed Pro pistons( teflon coated) with Eagle I beam rods
Stock oval port heads with a stage 1 port job (stainless valves,bronze guides,Edelbrock springs, Comp.Cams steel tipped rocker arms)
Performer RPM cam, intake manifold and carburetor(750cfm)
Hooker Super Cmp. 1 7/8 ceramic headers
MSD 6AL with a MSD ready to run Billet Distrib.
Balanced and blueprinted

While you are guessing hp how about a stab at a E.T.?
1967 Camaro, 427, TKO 600, 3.55 12 bolt, Hotchkiss suspension, 17 inch Nitto 450's

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What's stage one porting? What's the flow and velocity numbers? I'm going to guess at around 425-450hp at the flywheel. Your suspension and tires aren't even close to ideal for drag racing so I'd guess somewhere around 12.50 e.t.'s, maybe 11.90's with slicks and the front swaybar unhooked.The 750 carb seems a little on the small side also. If you can find a 850 Holley to borrow for the dyno day, I bet you'll see a noticable increase in power and torque.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stage 1 porting is a fancy way to say that enough porting to open up the bowls and to generally clean up that area. Nothing drastic. I realize that my setup is not suited for the strip, I just wanted an idea of what to expect.I hope I can expect a little more than what your guess is because I should have built a small block and saved some coin in the process.;)The carb is what the RPM package called for so that is what was put on.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I wish you luck and hope that I'm just being overly conservative on my guess (based on assumptions from unknown engine parameters), but in my experience a Dyno day is usually a quite humbling experience. The last engine I helped build was a mismatch combination of parts (sometimes you just can't tell people that they are buying the wrong parts). On a PC Desk Top Dyno program the engine should have made around 600hp, but once we strapped it to the engine dyno, it made 485hp. My friends was more than a little mad. Just take as many parts that you have time to test if you can borrow them (different size carbs, different sized headers, etc.).Even though you'll use what you have for know, it's always good to know that certain parts that cn be changed in the future can make more power, or not. It's just good to know since you're going thru all the trouble to have it dyno'd anyhow. Post results when you get it done.

·
Registered
345 Posts
im going to say 450-470 it sounds like a nice daily or weekend driver motor and I would think ET's would be around mid to low 12's. I would get it chassis dynoed to see how much rwhp you will get.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10.1 compression - heads are 1974 116 cc ( all i know about them)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
italiano362,
What were your dyno results??????????????????

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dyno was down for computer update on Friday and Saturday:mad: I thought my engine guy would call today with results but it seems getting an engine done is about the same as dealing with body shops. A long drawn out affair.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay guys here are the preliminary results. The Edelbrock carb was way to small and was pitched after two jet settings. We used a 850 Might Demon Holley and got good results. We are going to purchase a new one and tune it to the motor and also play with the spacers etc. to find any hidden hp. So far she ran at 531 hp with 450 torque at 6200 RPM. I am pretty happy with this and am happy with heads wanting more fuel so it was a pretty good job on them. We might be able to squeeze maybe 5 - 10 more out of it but I am pleased with it as it is.:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
i wanna see the paper. thats an awful lot for a performer rpm cam and stock heads. making them numbers and yur still under carbed? i was going to guess around 400hp plus or minus 20hp. no disrespect to you it just seems a little high thats all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts