Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guy's, i could use a little help- i'm wanting to change my automatic in
a 67 camaro to a 4 spd--i have most all of the part's.

i need to know if the clutch and brake pedal set, will bolt right in -if i remove the automatic brake pedal--are do i need another type mount.

also i have the z-bar set--how hard will it be to mount the z-bar mount
onto my frame.

i could use any help, i'm wanting to do this set up real bad

thank's you very much,
tim

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
I did one a long time ago and remember it being a piece of cake. I think the pedals are easily swapped and uses the same mount. I believe the holes for the bellcrank (z-bar) are already in the frame and all you need are bolts. I'm sure others can add details and anything to look out for.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
the outer z-bar bracket that ricks gives you is for a 68-69 and not for a 67. the third hole is different space. you got choice on it tho either drill hole in frame or i got some extras for a 67 only. that way just bolt it in place. make sure you got the linkage for your small block or big block setup. they are different setups.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Plan out other details like speedo cable, backup lights and existing neutral safety switch. You did not specify what 4-Speed you were installing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am in the planning stages of converting my 69 to a 4 Speed too.

Thanks for the Template 68driver.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so the z-bar bracket mount's to the out side, will the inner fender be in the way
and you guy's are saying that the frame already has fac. hole's in it
what i'm trying to ask is, how hard is it to mount the bracket, can it be done with
the inner fender already installed.
thank's

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Tightening the nut on the Z-Bar can be quite an experience if you don't have a good gear wrench, lol. I did the swap a few years ago and got a refresher course when I did my engine swap. The zbar is tricky to snake through there with the motor in the car especially if you have headers and power brakes like I do. The pedals are an easy swap, and so is attaching the linkage to the z bar. Just be sure to get your clutch adjustment right, and don't use the mounting ears on the trans to pull it into place. If its not going in that last half an inch, something is wrong. Just take your time with the swap and all should be well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you, maybe this will make the job better, i have manifold's and power
drum brake's.
will the hurst super comp. shifter work ok--the one from summit racing
will i have to cut very much on the floor, i think i can use my automatic console,
i'll just have to replace the top cover from auto. to 4spd cover.
thank you guy's very much, for all of these tip's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts