Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of using the olders zr1 wheels in black, i have a 68 camaro and am wondering what all I would have to do to fit the 17x9.5 in front and the 17x11 in the rear on the stock suspension.... i mean is it a ton of work and money or would some spacers do the trick thanks for all your info!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
17x11 in the rear on the stock suspension.... i mean is it a ton of work and money or would some spacers do the trick thanks for all your info!!
Only reason to run an 11" wheel with a lot of bs (like the zr1 wheel) would be to get to a 300+mm tire width. Only way to do that properly in a 1st gen is to mini-tub.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here's the link to the thread on this forum http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139609
If you really like the "look" of the ZR1 wheels they come in lots of widths (8.5 - 9.0 - 9.5) that would make fitting them on a stock suspension car much easier. You would still need adapters though. Also keep in mind that 17s or bigger look much better on a car with lowered suspension. If the budget is tight and your just worried about looks you can cut the front springs a 1/2 coil at a time to get the desired ride heigt and use (dare I say this but we're talking looks on the cheap) lowering blocks in the rear. Just throwing some ideas out there for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Car Is Lowered 2 Inch Up Front And 1 1/2 In Rear I Like The Look But Also Like The Size Of The Wheels For Performance And Agressiveness, I Have No Problem
Mini Tubbing The Rear And Such Since I Have Kinda Wanted To Do That Anyway, But The Spacer Issue Up Front Is There A Downside As In Safety Wise To Running That Big Of A Spacer Or No?

·
Registered
472 Posts
My Car Is Lowered 2 Inch Up Front And 1 1/2 In Rear I Like The Look But Also Like The Size Of The Wheels For Performance And Agressiveness, I Have No Problem
Mini Tubbing The Rear And Such Since I Have Kinda Wanted To Do That Anyway, But The Spacer Issue Up Front Is There A Downside As In Safety Wise To Running That Big Of A Spacer Or No?
If you're going to go to all the work of mini-tubbing then I'd encourage you to get custom wheels that fit your car properly. Is there something about using the ZR-1 wheels that is important to your project?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I like the look of those wheels a lot, I got a 93 vette that will get a set someday.

As was pointed out, that style wheel is available in different widths. All 96 vette LT4's used them, I believe in 8.5" front and 9.5" rear. These are a bit more do-able on a firstgen.

Member mkelcy used these. He used some giant 3" and some thick spacers to make it work. He had them on the car in Billings, summer of '06. They looked good, and didn't fall off running the Beartooth Pass. Search threads started by him spring of 06.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,399 Posts
Member mkelcy used these. He used some giant 3" and some thick spacers to make it work. He had them on the car in Billings, summer of '06. They looked good, and didn't fall off running the Beartooth Pass. Search threads started by him spring of 06.
That would be "giant" 2" bolt-on spacers for standard C5 wheels 8.5" front and 9.5" rear.

·
Registered
472 Posts
nothing really important just like the look and its a very wide wheel i can get fairly cheap.
It will be cheaper to spend the money on custom wheels that have the ZR1 look than mini-tubbing and buying good quality spacers. It would be very easy to drop $1500 in just the mini-tub job.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very True On The Money Disapearing Fast, Maybe I Will Look Into Custom Wheels And Go A Little Bit Smaller Thanks Everyone For Your Input!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts