Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good PG flex plate laying around from a parts car or swap ?? Seems there are none in my state.....:( P. S. they aren't the same as a TH 350, as I had thought...:noway:

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems to me P/G flexplate is 153-tooth whereas THM350 is 168-tooth. Am I correct?
I believe that's one of the differences...I was told the mounting pads for the converter bolts were different too..:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have a couple spares. If there is a difference, can we talk about it so I can figure out what I have? I thought the different sized plates were for th400 or th350/pg?
Kevin, I'm not positive about how they are different either. I couldn't find one designated for a PG so was going to buy one for a TH 350 and was told they are different. I just sent a PM to Big Gear head....hopefully he will be able to tell us how to determine the right plate...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
601 Posts
the 168 teeth flywheel has both hole bolt pattern in it for a 350/pg and also the 400 bolt pattern in it. think also the 153 teeth has same multi bolt pattern in it also. hhmm unless you got a vega torque converter in there.than thats a different story. but stock same as 350. they go for around 35 bux. e mail me [email protected] and ill give you a place near you or ill send it to you.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK.......I did the count and measure thing. My flex plate IS 14" and 168 tooth with the dual bolt pattern. Maybe it was upgraded when the trans was overhauled and the new "rebuilt" converter put in ??

I should be able to get a flex plate anywhere for this now...right ??

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mitch:

I have the same problem, my 67 is missing the cover and they are no where to be found in Wisconsin. There are two sizes for the flywheel (flexplate) one is 12" one is 14". They say one cover fits both but I have yet to fine one that fits and I have bought 4 at different swap meets! Fortunately I did not spend a lot of money on any of them. Good luck

Dave
67 SS Clone
350 with console mounted powerglide pb,ps, tilt and guages
Plum with White Vinyl top

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear ya Dave, I was rather suprised to find my flex plate is 14". I had always heard they were only behind big blocks. I guess mine may have been swapped in, but the date code on the pan matches the car....:yes: I can't see the partial VIN yet...too confined and greasy.:(
I do have a cover on mine, if you want me to measure anything for reference. I have another 12" cover here too and I will compare them to see what is different. I am getting a new plate from Checker Auto today and may be changing that next week.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mitch:

Never could find an answer on why there were two 'wheels' some say the 14" inch was used on engine with more torque and pulling power some say the opposite. All I know is that it "appears" that the pan or bowl has got to be deeper for the 14". Everyone I bought when I installed them, the flywheel would, for a lack of a better term, "bottom out" on the pan. I have freinds suggest I buy a bag of sand and 'massage' the bottom of the pan with a ballpeen hammer to make it fit. They said you would be surpirise on how much you can increase the size.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Dave, I compared the 2 covers I have and the 14" cover is about 1/2-9/16 deeper. Not much but it won't clear the flex plate, like you found out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts