Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets!

In final stages of putting my 68 back together. I mistakenly swapped the solenoid wires. I put the purple one on the R terminal and the blue wire on the S terminal. I turned the key to the on position and observed some smoke coming from the the engine-side fuse block. Alarmed, I switched the key off, and removed the harness covering to discover that the cloth covered wire was quite hot. After tracing the cloth wire, I discovered that it splits into 2 blue wires. I figured out that one of the blues goes to the R term on the solenoid and the other blue goes to one of my ballast resister terms in my Mallory Unilite/ProMaster system. Here, finally, is the question: Should that cloth section of the wire get warm (to the point of being touchable, no smoke) when the ignition switch is turned to the "on" postion? I've read on other portions of this site that if I have the ballast resister, I don't need the cloth resister wire and that I could run a full 12 volts to the ballast resister (replacing that blue wire/cloth wire mess).

Sorry for the ramble.

Thanks!

------------------
'68 Camaro, 327, 4 spd, Hotchkis on both ends, Corvette/Firebird/Monte Carlo/Coleman disc brakes

·
Super Moderator
32,611 Posts
Your statement is correct.

If you have a resistor, you don't need the resistive wire, cloth covered.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR DISAPPEAR UPON RAPID ACCELLERATION"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Everett. The blue wire mess is outta here!

------------------
'68 Camaro, 327, 4 spd, Hotchkis on both ends, Corvette/Firebird/Monte Carlo/Coleman disc brakes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the cloth/2 blue wire configuration with one red wire running from the original fuse block location of the cloth wire to the ballast resister. I now have 12~ volts at one end of the ballast resister and 3~ volts at the other end. Also have no smoke (now that's a big plus, isn't it kids?) when I turn the key to the "on" position. Works great!

-b

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everett#2390:
Your statement is correct.

If you have a resistor, you don't need the resistive wire, cloth covered.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts