Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

One of my friends at my school wants to help me upgrade my car by putting washers between the spark plugs. And I was wondering if this would blow the engine or if it will really work?

Please help
Thanks

John

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
What's your friends theory on Black Holes near the freeway off ramps... do they really cause you to be late to important meetings?

What washer manufactures would be good choices to buy stock in if this catches on ???

Dumbfounded in California

·
Registered
438 Posts
What do you mean by upgrade? And what engine are we talking about?
Along time ago, Moroso use to sell copper washers that went between the plugs and the head.
1- they were made of copper so you would get the crush/seal effect.
2- they were avaliable in flat and conical seat for the differant heads designs.
3- there design was so engine builders and tuners could align the electrode ground strap in the up position, Idea was engines with alot of high compression pistons would hit the tang of the plug and would close the gap and possibly cause serious engine damage.
I do not know if this is what you are refering too, but I just wouldnt think you would see any differance in performance?

·
Registered
438 Posts
And they were also called Spark Plug indexing washers, And the pack contained all differant thinknesses. 1 pack came with like 50 washers. and in 5 or 6 differant sizes.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Definately not worth the trouble. Even on the dyno, the results of any horse power increase are inconclusive.

Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the engine is a 95V6Camaro 3.8 Liter.

He says get performance spark plugs too im like ok?? cas I dont know that much about cars yet, this is my first year taking auto tech in school. But he also says that were should put custom made headers on the car too.... heh i dont know where this is going. But my dad said I wouldent trust him because the engine might blow. w/e any more comments?

John

·
Retired
26,665 Posts
As others indicate using washers is a trick used to index the open end of the spark plug gap so it faces a certain direction. Each plug would require a different thickness of washer and you most likely would have to pull the heads to see that you did it right. It's a trick used by competive racers to give them that extra .001 sec or so. In your car that wouldn't mean anything...

Learn to know the difference in which friends to trust with their automotive advice and the ones not to trust. A friend that does all his own work and goes to the track and has one of the nicer cars around is gonna give better advice than the guy that shows up on a skateboard... Above all else ask your shop class instructor.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
DjD said:
you most likely would have to pull the heads to see that you did it right.
You can mark the outside of the plug to see where the electrode lines up after installing it with the washer.

(See why it's not worth it?) :) and .001 second sure ain't much!

Larry

·
Retired
26,665 Posts
69-er said:
You can mark the outside of the plug to see where the electrode lines up after installing it with the washer.

Larry
shhhh... I know that, just wanted to see how far through this he was thinking. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well thanks for all the help guys, Im sure in hell not doin that now. I'm thinkin about just droppin a V8357 in there. Anyone know how much it would cost if i sold my v6 3.8?

John

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Take a set of plugs and clip the ground terminal so that it is square lined up right with the edge of the center terminal!

This will create the max. spark, but they don't last as long b/c there isn't much left of the ground terminal to eventually burn back.

pdq67

1 - 14 of 14 Posts