Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the posts on the wiper motors and washer pumps and I have a question about the washer pump.

My pump keeps on clunking when the wipers are on...it never stops. I was looking through the Chassis Service Manual and found that the pump can be taken apart. Has anyone ever done this and did the pump work good after that? If I was to take mine apart like the book says, to clean it, I assume I can use something like brake clean and elbow grease to clean the parts, but what about the windings on the solenoid assy. What can I use to clean it?

Also, do these things wear out? What should I be looking for, in regards to why it stays running?

And last but not least...the ground wire. The ground wire I see people talking about is the ground wire for the headlight and wiper switch under the dash correct? When I pulled the wiper motor, there wasn't any wire attached anywhere on the 3 firewall mount screws. I just don't see one being there on any pics that I have looked at.

Thanks.

·
11,348 Posts
I have started to try to figure the washer out. I have not gotten too far. You cannot clean ANY windings with cleaner that can disolve the laquer coating on the wires. It will cause a short. Three things wear, the star wheel, the eccentric shaft and the casing where the shaft hits. I have cleaned it, but got stuck welding the metal worn areas. I think the solenoid is supposed to actuate the pump rod, but I think the star wheel get hit every time the wipers are running.

The ground strap is brass and captured between the halves and goes under the upper most grommet's metal cap. Grounded through the screw to the firewall, no wire.

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Gary

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
There is a coil in the washer pump that is energized by the pushbutton wash switch.

The magnetism from the coil pulls the "spring loaded metal thing" onto the star wheel.

This allows the star wheel to turn and the pump to pump.

After "awhile" the "spring loaded metal thing" should come off star wheel, which stops the pumping.

If you pop the plastic cover off the pump, (but leave the pump attached to the wiper wotor) you can watch it work.

Be careful when you put the plastic cover back on, the "spring loaded metal thing" will need to be pushed in so the cover will go back on. Don't bend it.

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just out of curiosity, what year cars will the washer pump be found on other than the Camaro. Probably the Nova has it as well. Anyway, I live in Delaware and it seems there is nothing in the yards around here. Can the washer pumps be repaired? Mine works, but something is amiss.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Be careful when taking the washer pump apart. The rubber diaphram, if old, will fall apart or tear easily. There is nothing listed for a replacement in any of the Camaro catalogs, but the 63-67 Corvette washer bellow is the exact fit for that part. I replaced mine but the coil in my washer seems to be not working. Guess I need to see if it's getting engergized.

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The pumps are still in plentiful supply, I bought mine at Advance Auto for like $28.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what year cars will the washer pump be found on other than the Camaro. Probably the Nova has it as well. Anyway, I live in Delaware and it seems there is nothing in the yards around here. Can the washer pumps be repaired? Mine works, but something is amiss.

Thanks

I believe the washer pump on 68-72 chevy and GMC pickups are the same. The wiper motor and punp are located under the dash on the inside of the cab. I've picked up several at Pull -a -Part. Usually in very good condition because of the inside location where there not exposed to as much heat.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
All cars with the "rectangular" motor use the same washer pump. These are usually car where the wipers do not "depress" into a park position, but simply stop at the bottom of the sweep.

Cars with depressed park or hidden wipers use the round motor and it uses a different washer pump.

I bought a repro pump from D&R a long time ago, and it was lousy. The metal base plate was very cheaply made, the cover didn't look right, and the shaft would not go onto the wiper motor.

I was able to use the pump diaphram and poppet valve from it to repair my original pump tho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Gary, I was searching thru the forum on wiper motors and read your thread and saw you were from Delaware, where in DE, I am too,let me know...thanx Dave

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just finished putting a repair kit in my 69 washer pump.
Had to readjust my nozzles so the water would actually hit my car and not the two in back of me.
Simple repair plus I did take the pump assy apart and clean every thing before reinstalling it.
Auto zone part # 66-400 $6.99 cheapest thing ive boughtfor this heap yet!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts