Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was just helping a friend out with his 77 Nova with a 454 under the hood. The damned thing won't idle... it'll just cut out all of a sudden. Anyway, it turns out after replacing the fuel filter with a clear plastic one, we noticed there was a foreign liquid at at the bottom of the filter canister. Water is more dense than gasoline, so obviously this is 99% most likely the problem (gas=.73g/ml and water=.93g/ml). Oh yeah, did I mention he had the car parked outside without a gas cap on the tank for a little while..... hehehe
Of course the best thing to do is drop the tank and flush the system because who knows how much water got into the damn thing. Any other ideas??? I've heard about the gas additive, but I doubt it'll work for this situation, that stuff is for condensation, not for mistakes like leaving the gas cap off...
Is there anything we should be concerned about??? How destructive can this be, the engine was able to run at a highier rpm (sometimes), but then it would shut down at idle real quick.

Thanks....

------------------
1968 Coupe, 327/210hp project in process. PS/PB, Factory AC
Soon to be 327/275hp

·
Registered
650 Posts
Also, the whole "sediment bowl" concept might work. I think you can get such things for lawn tractors and whatnot. Imagine a clear bowl that flows fuel through it. All the contaminants get settled to the bottom of the bowl and allow the lighter fuel to pass through. Kinda the same concept as your fuel filter, but the sediment bowl is quite a bit larger. A thought anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Make sure you get the isopropyl alcohol type of dry gas. They also make methanol which won't do the job. How do I find these things out.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah man, duh, yes water should be 1g/ml. I found that .93 on some website... I knew I should have looked in my physics book. Maybe if i didn't drink so much beer last thursday I would have remembered that number off the top of my head anyway...

Thanks for the tips guys, my friend said he bought some $1.50 additive and it cleared right up and it's running sweet.

But again, is there anything we should check to see if it has been damaged from the water?

Jim

------------------
1968 Coupe, 327/210hp project in process. PS/PB, Factory AC
Soon to be 327/275hp

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
The worst that the water would do is possibly rust a bit of the tank. I had this happen to my van, and over time the pickup tube got plugged up with flakes of rust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts