Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a situation on my 69 Z I recently had the motor completely rebuilt along with the heads. They were all magged for cracks etc. before and after the all work was complete. The issue I have is I was putting the wires on the starter and a drip hit my hand. I pulled the exhaust manifold and the port was full of anti freeze. The valve was closed so I do not think it went any further. I drained the coolant out cleaned the port out and put a pressure test on it. I ran it at 10 #'s for 2 hours and 15#'s at 1 hours without fluid in it and it held steady. I had the heads flow matched so a very slight port was done to even the flow only. I also had the hardened seats put in. I have held off doing anything other than the pressure check and do not want to just start taking it back apart till I have a direction. Any help will be appreciated! thanka Jim

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The 69 Z1 MK IV is an Aluminum Block/Head 427 right. First I would do a leak down on that cylinder looking for bubbles in the Anti-Freeze or the sound of air in water cavity to confirm suspension then pull the cylinder head; hoping to find nothing more then a leaking head gasket or leaking head bolt. It is possible there may be a water intrusion as the result of the harden seat insert on that Exhaust Valve. Has the Block been sleeved?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No sleeve on the block.
I have talked to a couple of guys I think kind of know what they are talking about they say maybe when hardened seats put it might have put a small crack ina water jacket?
I had a very reputable builder put do all machine work on block and heads he also assembled the motor. He is very meticulous and I would get a hold of him but he has some serious health issues as of late much more impartant than this. thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike if it was leaking from the seat would it not be leaking down into the cylinder or not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts