Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 2000 Camaro SS, LS1. The power steering pump fluid has water mix with the fluid. I did some research and this model year the power steering pump has a cooler. I don't know if I should get the cooler ($190.00) and the power steering pump ($150.00) or both. Has anyone ever had this problem? :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that make sence. I will do it as soon as it warms up, even though I live in California. It's cold. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is the cooler plumbed through the radiator?
What is the indication of water in the PS fluid?
The replacement cooler that I have been able to find is seperate from any water source....Just a tube and fin cooler

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
How did you get the water, The cooler and lines can be flushed, the pump and rack are the real problem, if it is a radiator, you need a rad.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hey man don't waste your time.

The only vehicles with a cooler was the WS6. It flowed power steering fluid through a metal sleeve that was installed on the radiator hoses. Had a little passage flow on the outside to cool fluid. Yes it can leak and put water in the reservoir. Do you need to replace it no? It was only on the WS6's because if you are racing it and doing alot of turns it helped the performance and not degrade the fluid.

Do not get the pump, pump should be fine only time you shoudl worry about it is if it was cavitating and the pump was pulling air.

Do yourself a favor and go to the junkyard or LS1 tech and find a cooler or by pass it. Bypassing it is so so sos ososososososososososos easy. Either take the feed line and go directly to the rack. Or get a brass barbed fitting and put it at the cooler and zip tie it to your radiator hose.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hey man don't waste your time.

The only vehicles with a cooler was the WS6. It flowed power steering fluid through a metal sleeve that was installed on the radiator hoses. Had a little passage flow on the outside to cool fluid. Yes it can leak and put water in the reservoir. Do you need to replace it no? It was only on the WS6's because if you are racing it and doing alot of turns it helped the performance and not degrade the fluid.

Do not get the pump, pump should be fine only time you shoudl worry about it is if it was cavitating and the pump was pulling air.

Do yourself a favor and go to the junkyard or LS1 tech and find a cooler or by pass it. Bypassing it is so so sos ososososososososososos easy. Either take the feed line and go directly to the rack. Or get a brass barbed fitting and put it at the cooler and zip tie it to your radiator hose.
the camaro ss also had a power steering cooler on it.

the ss is chevys version of the ws6

1 - 9 of 9 Posts