Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure some one has discussed this before I found searches on water and rockers but nothing on this. I was thinking about opening up the hole in the bottom of my outer cowls (Tulip) and then closing the opening where that water would have drained into the rocker. I know the rockers have drains to the outside but it looks like it would be a lot of water which would not drain out. The inside of my rockers are rough from being old. It would be easier to divert the water out the bottom of the outer cowls. The water which gets into the rear of the rocker from beside the back glass could still get out. This may be a bad idea. If it is please tell me why?

Thanks Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Bryan...

I figure that GM had top of the line engineers design the system so I will not second guess them. :) What I do is never wash my car with a hose or a car wash. I have owned the car since 1999 and got caught in the rain only twice. If you avoid those three water situations, you will not worry about the cowl,tulip panel or rockers. I wash my car with a spritz bottle of plain water after using a cali-duster. Why use a cleaner or dish soap which will remove the wax you worked hard to put on.

Just spray a little water and wipe with clean soft paper towels. The only places that cleaner gets used is behind the rear tires and along the bottom where mud and grease may get to. I use a good brand of wax once a year and spay detail wax once a week. Remember..we do not want water in places it can't get out so avoid water getting in those places.

Kev

·
Registered
955 Posts
Kev, I thought that I was the only one that ate up. I go one step further and use distilled water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes good sense. If you block the cowl and the rocker hole from water you also block it from air moving through. When you get water in the rocker then the airflow is what gets it out. My inside rocker fronts are not new at all but they are solid. I was thinking of somehow coating them with POR-15 and then coating them with the wax Eastwood has. Anyone on this question? Having to do all this again is on my mind bad. Whoever said the learning cure is expensive knew what he was talking about.

Thanks again,

Bryan

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
The learning curve is very expensive!! He he I just got done repairing my door jam area and when I went to put the rocker in I found out that i made the patch an inch too short! DOY!!!

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
My body shop store sells a product designed to coat the inside of door panels and rockers where water runs through. He says the stuff is great and I take his advice since he's been successfully in the hobby for 20 years. Its a paint on so it can be put over the primer that I have in the rockers now. If you do go the POR route make sure to call the company and make sure there won't be any adhesion problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.