Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to pose a question. I have a CVF Wraptor Serpentine system and in order to get the stock cooling fan close to the radiator, I installed a 1" spacer.
The other day I took off pretty good. Not wide open, but the rear end came out a little and I might have hit 4000/4500 RPM's. I immediately felt a vibration through the gas pedal. It felt like a harmonic balancer loose. It wasn't real bad, but I knew something was different. I drove it home and shut it off and I actually got distracted and forgot about it until last weekend when I was going to give my brother in law a ride in it. I started it up and remembered, so I popped the hood and we could see immediately the pully on the water pump was wobbling. below is a video link to the wobble.

My question; Would the 1" spacer cause the weight of the stock fan create more risk of this occurring? I purchased a better spacer. One that has holes and not slots for each bolt. I am prepared to put it back together without the spacer if the spacer contributed to this issue.

CVF sent me out a replacement water pump the same day I sent them an email describing that the water pump might have failed. Really impressed that they did not push back at all.

Both the fan and the clutch are reverse flow items.

Thank in advance for your thoughts!

Brett.....

Water Pump Flange Wobble

Wood Jewellery Auto part Metal Circle

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tread

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light Vehicle

·
Premium Member
5,549 Posts
I think the cause is a cheap water pump with a low quality flange…..

Don

·
15,638 Posts
Did you question CVR about using a spacer?

Was the flange bent or was the WP shaft loose in the bearing causing the wobble?

Reactions: jimnecci

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I don't see how the spacer did anything. Your pump bearing is bad

Reactions: StevieBB54

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some good info. I can email CVF and inquire about using a spacer. Everything else seems tight. I was wondering if it is a cheap pump. It is aluminum. I'm not absolutely sure what caused it. I initially am thinking it was the distance away from the flange with that heaver fan and clutch along with a substandard pump. Maybe I should look for a better pump. It still needs to adapt to this serpentine set up but I think a standard pump should still fit, as long as it's a reverse flow.
Brett....

I can feel some play in the shaft.....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Look at Stewart water pumps. Well made thick flange.

Reactions: jkuro

·
Premium Member
5,549 Posts
CVF setups are lower cost than most. They achieve the lower cost with lower cost components. It’s really that simple imho….

Don

Reactions: SoCal805

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don, your right. I agree with you. The old saying still holds true; "You get what you pay for".
I did find that the spacer bushing was .735" to fit in a .750" hole, so there was some play in it, and with a thicker flange it might have withstood some runout. I am going to email CVF and inquire whether they have had issue with this (water pump flange causing wobble). I was supposed to get the replacement yesterday but FedEx lost it for two days.:mad:
Brett....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don, your right. I agree with you. The old saying still holds true; "You get what you pay for".
I did find that the spacer bushing was .735" to fit in a .750" hole, so there was some play in it, and with a thicker flange it might have withstood some runout. I am going to email CVF and inquire whether they have had issue with this (water pump flange causing wobble). I was supposed to get the replacement yesterday but FedEx lost it for two days.:mad:
Brett....
I took one look at the water pump that came with my March pulley system and ordered a steward pump with a larger shaft diameter and a much larger bearing. So far no issues 7 blade fan and clutch.

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
496 Posts
Brett....
I have the CVF system on my big block however, I did not use their water pump. Be prepared for it to be lost more than 2 days if Fedex is involved. I waited 14 days for my CVF order to arrive ONCE Fedex picked up the shipment. Had to exchange the alt fan, again 14 more transit days for a total of 28 shipping days to get all the parts to assemble, then found I needed a new PS pump, found a vendor in Florida with a CVF PS pump. Got that in 4 days.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took one look at the water pump that came with my March pulley system and ordered a steward pump with a larger shaft diameter and a much larger bearing. So far no issues 7 blade fan and clutch.
Hmmm, I should do that. Is yours a reverse flow?
Thanks,
Brett....

·
3,518 Posts
I have never seen a water pump flange bend ??? The spacer definitely puts more stress on it. Especially if the fan is at all out of balance.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I have the CVF system on my big block however, I did not use their water pump. Be prepared for it to be lost more than 2 days if Fedex is involved. I waited 14 days for my CVF order to arrive ONCE Fedex picked up the shipment. Had to exchange the alt fan, again 14 more transit days for a total of 28 shipping days to get all the parts to assemble, then found I needed a new PS pump, found a vendor in Florida with a CVF PS pump. Got that in 4 days.
Fed up with FedEx too. I tell people that I purchase from no FedEx. If that's all they use, I move on.

Reactions: MChamp

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fed up with FedEx too. I tell people that I purchase from no FedEx. If that's all they use, I move on.
Yeah, what's up with that? Guess they don't have enough people like a lot of other places. I thought it was UPS that was always damaging the packages. My tracking showed it sat in one place for two days. Guess there was no one to pick it up.
I sent an email to Stewart Engineering to inquire about a Reverse flow Stage 3 short pump. Has a 3/4 shaft. They show a Stage 2 but I think I want to upgrade to a beefier one, since this will eventually go onto the 427 I'm building.
Brett....

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
My stuff always got sent to the wrong street. Not even in my neighborhood. My street starts with a "d", and so does the place they send it to, bit not even close in distance, or street name. They just suck in general. Tom Hanks please help fix the FedEx lack of pride.😩

Reactions: Brettallen59

·
Premium Member
5,549 Posts
I get great service from FedEx and UPS. The drivers are always interested in what I’m doing in the shop and I offer them a Gatorade on hot days. The UPS driver gave me his cell number so I can call him if I need something early in the day instead of late in the day when he usually delivers.

Don

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
496 Posts
Around here FedEx is the worst, I request the USPS over FedEx now-a-days. Last week I had to do a 4 wheel brake job on my grandsons car. UPS guy pulled up and hung around and even helped me with the reline for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Yes. Some of the drivers are really down to earth. UPS , USPS, and I have a RL driver that comes quite often to deliver engines. It was funny one day he came, "he drives a tractor trailer" to drop off some engines and quarter panels when I wasn't home. He had been here several times before. He knocked on the door and asked for me by my middle name,"I go by", and this caught my wife off guard. He said he knows me from when my car was on the velocity channel . And had delivered here a few times before. She laughed , and he took all of the parts by himself to my shop in the back. We are actually pretty good friends now. My wife always gets nervous when the tractor trailer showed up. Probably once a month now days.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I just went through this same exact thing. Concept 1 pulley system using an Eldebrock pump.
Post#27

1 - 20 of 37 Posts