Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just went through this same exact thing. Concept 1 pulley system using an Eldebrock pump.
Post#27
I even posted in this thread, lol. Shows how bad my memory is. SO......Have you put it back together and tested it out at all? What is your current resolution?
I have two solutions;
1-Take out the 1" spacer. Monitor the engine temp and evaluate whether the change in fan location causes temperature change. My A/C clutch is thinner than yours, so I think I can remove the spacer and not hit my A/C compressor with the fan blades.
2-Trying to contact Stewart to see if they have a Stage 3 reverse-flow BBC short water pump. Their Stage 3 has a larger shaft per their website so I'm thinking it would better withstand any further out leverage forces.

I will be calling Stewart today as they did not reply to my email.

Will update as needed,
Brett....

Registered
I even posted in this thread, lol. Shows how bad my memory is. SO......Have you put it back together and tested it out at all? What is your current resolution?
I have two solutions;
1-Take out the 1" spacer. Monitor the engine temp and evaluate whether the change in fan location causes temperature change. My A/C clutch is thinner than yours, so I think I can remove the spacer and not hit my A/C compressor with the fan blades.
2-Trying to contact Stewart to see if they have a Stage 3 reverse-flow BBC short water pump. Their Stage 3 has a larger shaft per their website so I'm thinking it would better withstand any further out leverage forces.

I will be calling Stewart today as they did not reply to my email.

Will update as needed,
Brett....
Yes, it's all back together. I had to keep the spacer and put everything back as it was. I'm driving it and hoping for the best. So far so good.
I'd like to know more about the pumps with the bigger shaft.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay, I'll post when I find out. They are on East Coast Time so I've been too late on the call. Hopefully tomorrow I'll catch them there.
I received my replacement CVF pump. I am contemplating no spacer. I need to be patient, lol.
Brett.....

Reactions: Just 1 More

Registered
I'd like to know more about the "Fan hub set screw for positive positioning" and how that works

Premium Member
Around here FedEx is the worst, I request the USPS over FedEx now-a-days. Last week I had to do a 4 wheel brake job on my grandsons car. UPS guy pulled up and hung around and even helped me with the reline for a while.
When it comes to cross-border shipments, UPS call themselves brown for a reason:poop: Fedex is best here.

Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
International shipments:DHL rules. Ordered a motorcycle helmet from Italy 馃嚠馃嚬 At my door in 2 days with standard shipping. Glad F..kEx works fir you, The post office is faster. I specifically request do not use Fed ex.

Premium Member
International shipments:DHL rules. Ordered a motorcycle helmet from Italy 馃嚠馃嚬 At my door in 2 days with standard shipping. Glad F..kEx works fir you, The post office is faster. I specifically request do not use Fed ex.
I've used DHL and they are probably best for shipments from oversea's.
With US / Can border, UPS nails you hard for customs and brokerage fees and that invoice comes a month or more after the shipment is received. Fedex can be good if the shipper has a sweet deal with them. Funny how the same company can either suck or be good depending on the area.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'd like to know more about the "Fan hub set screw for positive positioning" and how that works
I called and talked to the Stewart owner today. He said he cannot make a Stage 3 Reverse Flow BBC Short Water Pump, but he can make a Stage 4 Pump with CCW, reverse flow pump. This pump has a billet machined impeller, 3/4 shaft and heavy duty bearings and that "Fan hub set screw for positive positioning". I knew it was more money. I think he said $328 or there abouts.
But, I have a new pump, with a new spacer that has 8 total bolt-down holes and so does the new pump. I'm tempted to go back together with what I have. I am also considering the machine shop that is currently balancing my rotating assembly for my 427 and asking him if he can balance a 7 blade fan. Ya think? Then again, I might call Stewart up and order the Stage 4. I'm unsure.
Brett.....

Registered
I called and talked to the Stewart owner today. He said he cannot make a Stage 3 Reverse Flow BBC Short Water Pump, but he can make a Stage 4 Pump with CCW, reverse flow pump. This pump has a billet machined impeller, 3/4 shaft and heavy duty bearings and that "Fan hub set screw for positive positioning". I knew it was more money. I think he said $328 or there abouts.
But, I have a new pump, with a new spacer that has 8 total bolt-down holes and so does the new pump. I'm tempted to go back together with what I have. I am also considering the machine shop that is currently balancing my rotating assembly for my 427 and asking him if he can balance a 7 blade fan. Ya think? Then again, I might call Stewart up and order the Stage 4. I'm unsure.
Brett.....
The Eldebrock pumps are in that price range so I wouldn't consider it out of line.

Registered
Just get the the standard Stewart pump. They are plenty heavy duty.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Okay, I purchased the Stage 4 Reverse-Flow Stewart Pump. I asked him if I would be okay hanging out a 1" spacer with a stock 7-blade clutch fan and he said he would not recommend it on the Stage 1 or 2. Stage 4 is okay. I asked him about the "Fan Hub Set Screw for positive stop". He said it is a redundant securing mechanism along with a press-fit hub, so it is inside the water pump.
Brett....

Registered
Okay, I purchased the Stage 4 Reverse-Flow Stewart Pump. I asked him if I would be okay hanging out a 1" spacer with a stock 7-blade clutch fan and he said he would not recommend it on the Stage 1 or 2. Stage 4 is okay. I asked him about the "Fan Hub Set Screw for positive stop". He said it is a redundant securing mechanism along with a press-fit hub, so it is inside the water pump.
Brett....
Let's see it when you get it.. lots of pics all angles.. even maybe get a playboy model to hold it... lol

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You got it! :geek:

Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
How does reverse flow set up work? Is it where you have to run an idler bc the pump will be turning the opposite way? So the coolant still enters the rad from the top and exits the bottom right?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts