Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I use any sealer on the water pump gaskets? The service manual say's to use sealer on both sides of the gaskets. I have talked to a few people with more experience than me and they said to install them dry. I know I need thread sealer on the bolts but any advise based on your expereince with the gaskets would be great.

Thanks,

Murph

·
Registered
269 Posts
I use both the gasket and a skim of RTV on both sides of the gasket, mainly to hold them in place.

Randy

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm with 67rsm3 on that one. Nothin' I hate worse than putting that gasket in place without a little glue. Dont need much, just a thin glaze to make things seal a bit better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A trick an old timer showed me years ago...

If all you want to do is hold 'em in place, use a light coating of bearing grease. Plus it makes dis-assembly a breeze. (no gasket scraping)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Permatex makes a specific gasket sealer for your water pump gaskets.

PERMATEX® Water Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A non-corrosive, sensor-safe RTV silicone gasket material formulated specifically for water pumps and thermostat housings. Highest water-glycol resistance available in an RTV silicone.

Suggested Applications:
Water pump and thermostat housings

PART # 22071

I used it and its great stuff.. I bought it at AceHardware, they did not carry it but was able to order it and get it in 2 days flat at no additional charge, only cost me $2.50 for the sealer.

Local AceHardware Item no: 8020091
Just call them and they can get it in two days.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I'd go with Brian's suggestion. Most Silicone sealers (RTV) are acidic and if used with an aluminum pump you can expect to have corrosion problems. You'll know they've got acid in them by the strong odor. Dow Corning 3145 is also non-acidic, that's why we prefer to use it on the aircraft. For water pumps, oil pans and timing covers I use Aviation Form a Gasket, a light coat on each side of the gasket and I've never had a leak. The Permatex sealer Brian shows would be an excellent choice because it is non-acidic, although I've never personally used it, I would certainly consider it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i have always installed them dry, and i have never had a leak. my theory is this, why use silicone sealer on the gasket, when the gasket was designed to seal by itself? i think the stuff creates more problems. the only place i use it is in place of the intake manifold end seals. David

·
Registered
431 Posts
I glue the gasket to the pump with yellow 3M so it won't move, then put Permatex liquid (Super 300 or Aviation) on the block side so it won't stick.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Yellow 3M also known as 1300L or Super Weatherstrip Adhesive is excellent. It is one of the best glues out there. The problem I see people make with it is using too much, just a light coat, let it tack and put things together. Great,great stuff.

Jim how is the weather in Shreveport in early December? I've got a chance to go down there for a week if I decide to go.

Dave

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I've always used Permatex Ultra Black on pretty much anything but head gaskets. The key is using a thin coat and letting it tack before fully torquing the bolts.

It comes off very easy if you use a straight edge razor blade.

I like using gasket sealer because it fills in the imperfections in the block and whatever part you are sealing. A gasket alone may not, especially if you are working with an old block that has been rebuild over and over, rusted and cleaned, etc.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
He, He!! Ahhhh...

Good old messy Indianhead shellac gasket cement in the shoe polish dauber bottle!!

A little daub will do ya just fine..

pdq67

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Thanks Jim. I may end up going down in December after all. I spent about a half hour in Baton Rouge before heading on over to Texas Thursday night/Friday morning. It was sure nice in Baton Rouge around midnight, had to be 70 degrees I was ready to stay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts