Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally discovered what was making the rattling noise from the engine of our 1997 RS 3800 V-6 Camaro. I took the belt off and discovered the water pump pulley wobbles quite a bit. When I spin it by hand I can hear the rattling noise also. Luckily it hasn't started leaking yet but I am sure that is next.

Anyway, I tried a search here and on the web and wasn't able to come up with any information. It looks like a pretty straight forward project but I would like to read up on it first so I don't run into any unexpected surprises, like needing to have a puller, press stuff on or off, etc.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!
:beers:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW what an easy fix! I just let the car cool down and started to work on it. I first removed the four little bolts that hold the pulley on and then removed the belt. I then took all the bolts out and let the water/anti freeze run out. I pulled the old pump off, applied gasket sealer to the new pump, installed the gasket, put more sealer on the other side of the gasket, cleaned the block and installed the pump and bolted it up. Put the pulley back on and filled the radiator with new anti freeze and water, started, checked for leaks and was done! Letting the car run up to temperature to check for leaks took longer than changing the pump!
:beers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts