Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have this 5.7 block was told it was a 88 , long story story. It’s not , brought a intake, distributor, fuel pump other stuff ... a friend put it together for me..( first mistake ) ., it runs but when you fill the radiator,, pours out the tailpipe.. .... is it the wrong intake or block off rear jackets ..Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
Welcome to the club.
Pull spark plugs and crank engine over and flooded cylinder will show up.
Most likely a cracked head or blown head gasket.
However, if engine did not exhibit this event before swap out of intake, then I suspect mismatch between new intake and and heads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the club.
However, if engine did not exhibit this event before swap out of intake, then I suspect mismatch between new intake and and heads.
It’s a lot of water , no matter if running or not any even fill the radiator pours right out , I’m sure hoping it’s just the wrong intake

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,670 Posts
WHAT?!?! That is crazy! What where your thoughts when you were filling the radiator and saw water coming out of the tailpipe? Larger Dave had just mentioned in another post about using different gen parts;
I feel confident a water port is mis-aligned with an exhaust port. But it might be block with head, not head with intake, unless your lower end has already been confirmed to be good. I think if you had a thermostat in, water would not be getting into the intake from the top radiator hose. This had to be happening from the lower radiator hose, which means the block gets water first, then the heads. Do you know that the heads are compatible with the block? I guess since you start from the top, it will be easy enough to check port matching when you pull the intake.
Brett....

Gen V engines will not run with older Mark IV heads as the coolant passages were redesigned in the newer engine and it results in a huge internal water leak if bolted on

·
Registered
102 Posts
Something definitely mis-matched. You can try you local auto parts store, see if they have a rental radiator pressure tester. Fill engine with water, not running, and pressurize the system. That's shoujld be easier to locate the leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something definitely mis-matched. You can try you local auto parts store, see if they have a rental radiator pressure tester. Fill engine with water, not running, and pressurize the system. That's shoujld be easier to locate the leak.
Can’t fill it , it never fills up , halfway maybe then out the pipe. Now someone to fip the gasket over on the head , have you heard this before, new to me , but so is this problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WHAT?!?! That is crazy! What where your thoughts when you were filling the radiator and saw water coming out of the tailpipe? Larger Dave had just mentioned in another post about using different gen parts;
I feel confident a water port is mis-aligned with an exhaust port. But it might be block with head, not head with intake, unless your lower end has already been confirmed to be good. I think if you had a thermostat in, water would not be getting into the intake from the top radiator hose. This had to be happening from the lower radiator hose, which means the block gets water first, then the heads. Do you know that the heads are compatible with the block? I guess since you start from the top, it will be easy enough to check port matching when you pull the intake.
Brett....
It runs ,,no water in oil just can’t put water in it . Radiator won’t fill , runs right out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the club.
That’s what I was thinking at first , but it’s not filling up , water doesn’t get to the intake before it comes out the pipe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the club.
Thanks glad to be in the club, Has helped already..

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
I can't think of any way a water jacket lines up with an exhaust port so my guess is a cylinder filling and running out thru the valve. Good luck in the search. I'd drain the water with the block plugs. Then pull the spark plugs and run a compression test before tear down.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts