Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been debated previously. I am trying to get my 68 less nose heavy, closer to 50/50.

So there are claims of 200 lb weight reductions from aftermarket subframes off the front of the car. As the stock subframe is already really light (110 lbs), from what I understand that weight savings comes from using different parts.

So the stamped steel A-Arms, steel drums, heavy power steering box, and other components are replaced with lighter parts, like a rack and pinion, discs, and so on.

On my car I already have disc brakes (from an LT1 Camaro), SPC upper a-arms, aluminum body mounts, and a beefier sway bar, and I was planning on adding aluminum lower control arms and coil overs as well as Tru Turns so I can fit 10" wide front tires.

So as far as weight is concerned, the only difference will be the gear box and the steering linkage.

What is the weight penalty of having the stock steering linkage/gear box (I have the IROC one) vs. a rack and pinion from the aftermarket? I am assuming the difference would be less than 50 lbs.

I don't plan on autocrossing or anything. Just want a really good handling car.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
The weight savings has to come from replacing all the heavy steel parts with lighter tubular aluminum parts.

A quick search showed that an Art Morrison bare subframe is 105#, SpeedTech is 125#. I couldn't find info for other companies.

Have you relocated your battery to the trunk yet? Aluminum heads? Aluminum radiator? Lightweight wheels?

·
10,144 Posts
Do a search here, & Pro-touring.com one of these had all you are looking for. You are correct that there is no savings in the sub itself. The suspension is a bit lighter & maybe 30 lbs savings in the steering system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts