Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 with a later model 70's 350 motor in it. The previous owner had installed a 3 wire internally regulated alternator. The original external regulator has been removed and a jumper wire connected jumping 2 wires at the regulator connector. On the alternator side, I have a wire going from the charge post in the back of the alternator directly to the positive terminal on the battery. There is then a jumper wire going from the charge post to one of the 2 connectors on the alternator. Then the typical blue wire connected to the 2nd connection on the alternator. basically exactly like as shown here: http://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html

I've been driving it around a couple years with no problems. Recently while driving my GEN light came on. I took my alternator out and took it down to Autozone. Had it tested, turned out it was bad. I got a reman delco alternator identical to the one I had. I connected the wires up in the same places I took them off (at least I thought I did). Now I have a strange problem with the GEN light. When I turn the ignition to ON (without starting the motor) the GEN light is OFF. But when I start the engine the GEN light will remain lit until the engine is shutoff. Basically the reverse of how it is supposed to behave. Is it possible I reversed the wires on the #1 and #2 connectors on the back of the alternator? (see diagram in link above) I didn't want to try switching them yet because I don't know if that would cause problems.

What do you think? Thanks!

- Colby

·
Registered
819 Posts
The jumper from the charge post should go to the #2 terminal on the alternator which is the one on the right looking at the back of the alternator.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Although the connectors have no "#1 or #2" label on the alternator, the jumper on the charge post is connected to the right side terminal (looking from the back of the alternator). What would happen if I tried switching those around? Not a good idea??

·
Registered
819 Posts
I wouldn't try switching the wires. This will cause a back feed through the idiot light wire to the ignition switch. Car probably won't shut off and wire might fry depending on the load. Just cause the alternator is rebuilt doesn't mean it's good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts